RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
rightclix

N40L not recognising build in HDD.. help!

rightclix

Hi guys

im new to this forum and need your help please. So i purchased the N40l for development and just to have a bit of fun at home. My plan was to stick esxi 5.1 on it and go from there but upon installation the seagate hdd provided is not being recognised. I even tried a copy of server 2003 from a portable dvd-rw and it also say windows did not recognise any hdd?

ive changed the bios setting from ahci to sata etc but to no avail. Whats going on? is it a duff hdd or am i missing something here?

thanks

cskenney

Try another HDD.

rightclix

tried another external hdd. Works fine. Looks like the hdd is a DOA.

jmwills

Which connector/port are you using?

rightclix

Not sure what you mean by connector/port.All i did was upgrade the RAM to 8gb so slided the tray out installed it, popped it back in. All connectors are in the correct place. the HDD is in bay 1 which is the drive bay it came in and thats it.

cskenney

There is a spare port on the motherboard so I think he was wondering if you used that one. It looks like you used Bay 1 and have a bad HDD.

rightclix

where is this spare port located and what does it look like? apologies if this is a dumb question.

jmwills

There is a spare sata port on the MOBO and is mainly used to connect a smaller drive in the ODD bay area.

rightclix

just to give you an update i used to a usb to sata/ide connector and ran it through a windows xp machine. Formatted the hdd and it picked it up on the xp machine. i saved a file to it just to make sure. Connected it to the spare sata port you mentioned and it worked. So is the raid controller messed up or does it need configuring out of the box, or is the machine just faulty?

thanks

cskenney

Put it back in bay 1 and see if it is recognized now. it could still be a faulty HDD.