RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
MAD4TECH

Can't gain access to remote web access

MAD4TECH

This is exactly the problem I was alluding to earlier. It's often the case that you can't connect inside your LAN using the MS URL, but you can almost always connect using the IP. The problem is caused by DNS issues. Your client PC can't connect to the server because it can't resolve the URL to your outside/internet address. There is no single cause of this. It could be that your router doesn't permit looping back from LAN IP to your internet IP. It's not really an issue. You can simply use the IP address. You can also, if you like, add the name and IP of your server to the hosts file of your client PC. You should then be able to connect using the URL. I'm not recommending it, but it's possible.

eagle63 makes an excellent point. If you don't give Remote Access rights to the User ID to want to login with, it won't work. What we confirmed is that your server and router are correctly resolving your location.

I have given remote access to a user see screen shot :)

Userpage.jpg

i went on comand promt on the server i typed in ipconfig /all and the DHCP Enabled shows NO will the cause any problerms?? thank you for all your hel so far :)

jmwills

No problems here. This should match yout WAN address:

Non-authoritative answer:

Name: commandcenter.homeserver.com

Address: 173.160.132.81

Did we ever determine the router type and model. Why not just use the built-in Remote Desktop Connection Manager in Windows?

MAD4TECH

No problems here. This should match yout WAN address:

Non-authoritative answer:

Name: commandcenter.homeserver.com

Address: 173.160.132.81

Did we ever determine the router type and model. Why not just use the built-in Remote Desktop Connection Manager in Windows?

Hi thanks for the reply

The router is a D-Link DSL-2640R i would like to be able to give my doman name to a friend so thay can log on to share my photos etc

and if i go to a friend house i can access my server by typeing my domain name in the web browser to watch my films

thank you for you help. :)

MAD4TECH

Is this config right???

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : ComandCenter

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

this is what is shows when i go in to IPconfig /all this only a small bit of the comand promp termanal

ikon

Well, since we can get to the login window, I expect if we had a valid ID we would also be able to log in (that's not a hint BTW; I'm just saying). I can't see any reason why you would not be able log in remotely right now (ir you were away from your house that is :) ).

Why not create an account for a friend ask them to try logging in.

cskenney

Well, since we can get to the login window, I expect if we had a valid ID we would also be able to log in (that's not a hint BTW; I'm just saying). I can't see any reason why you would not be able log in remotely right now (ir you were away from your house that is :) ).

MAD4TECH - if you are willing to give it a try, as Ikon suggests, set up a user for a friend. You might consider setting up one of us (like Ikon) and then send him the user name and password you created using the personal message function on our boards. The message will only go to ikon and then he could try to login into your system. Then we could determine if remote access is actually working. Once he confirms (or not) you can always remove that user name from the system (or change the password) and ikon would no longer have access rights.

MAD4TECH

Hi thanks for all your help so far ikon I know you said you can get the login page up but

I got my girlfriend to try to get the login page but she cannot she has tried

My domain name and my domain name with /remote on the end

And trying to put the IP address into the address bar dos not seem to work for her either so I’m confused lol :wacko:

ikon

MAD4TECH, I tried the credentials you gave me, but I can't log on. Perhaps you forgot to give that ID remote web access?

As far as your g/f goes, I'm not sure why she can't get the login page. This may seem silly but, just to be sure, your g/f tried your outside internet address, right, not your server's IP?

Have you gotten her to try to ping your URL? I get 173.160.132.81 when I ping commandcenter.homeserver.com.

jmwills

Your IP Address would have to be the WAN IP Address plus the port number of 443. so to use the IP address, you would use the following:

https://173.160.132.81:443

But there is no reason to do this, since we know it is resolving in DNS.

ikon

Your IP Address would have to be the WAN IP Address plus the port number of 443. so to use the IP address, you would use the following:

https://173.160.132.81:443

When I go to commandcenter.homeserver.com it doesn't use https. It seems to be a port 80 web page.

B

ut there is no reason to do this, since we know it is resolving in DNS.

Unless his g/f has some DNS config issue at her end.