RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
MAD4TECH

Can't gain access to remote web access

MAD4TECH

There are some routers on the market that do not handle the internal comms required for remote desktop from the WHS perspective. Try to do it manually from the client (not using the dashboard) and see if you can get in.

Thanks for the reply

I have tried to connect using the web access on Launchpad and my girlfriend tried to accessing it her end using the normal web browser

What spec router do I need so I can check if my router has it or so I can buy one with the right spec thanks :)

MAD4TECH

Not the settings, just the inability of the router to handle that type of functio for the WHS app. By the way, turn in UPnP. It's a security risk you do not need running.

I have found UPnP on my router WHS mesage tells me to turn it on :unsure:

so what sort of router spec am i looking for?? :)

Edited by MAD4TECH

Michael Brown

Are you using an @homeserver.com domain? If not, WHS 2011 only supports a couple of other providers (godaddy is one).

MAD4TECH

Are you using an @homeserver.com domain? If not, WHS 2011 only supports a couple of other providers (godaddy is one).

Hi thanks for the reply :)

yes i am using a @homesrver.com domain name do it mater how long it is?

WHSScreenshot1.jpg

jmwills

No, the URL length does not matter. I'd almost guarrantee you it;s the router as this topic has come up before.

Can we have the URL to see if any of us can resolve it thru nslookup?

ikon

Hi thanks for the reply.

I am sorry I am not that good with networking and using routers I will try my best to explain yes I am connected to my local network/router all of my pc / laptop are connected to it.

I got my girlfriend to try to connect to it she lives miles/kilometres away I assume that is called accessing it from outside the network?? Is it some think to do with my router settings??

thanks for the help :)

Yes, your girlfriend accessing from miles away is outside your network. Anything that is on the other side of your router from your own PCs is outside your LAN.

The reason I asked is because it can sometimes be difficult for computers on a LAN to access a local server by using a an internet address such as the one that Microsoft creates for Windows Home Server Remote Access. Often, it works better from outside the LAN. It all depends whether the local DNS cache can properly direct your PC to your server.

eagle63

My 2 cents:

Keep uPnp enabled for now on your router. If you disable this, you will need to set a static IP address on your WHS box as well as setup port forwarding on your router. UPnp does that dirty work for you. Yes, uPnp is a security risk, but until you get this all working I think it's an acceptable one. (baby steps)

Also, riffing on Ikon's question about whether you're inside or outside your LAN.. I think you need to try and get this working from INSIDE your LAN first. Your router shouldn't be preventing you from connecting to your WHS from inside your LAN. So you need to figure out what the IP address is of your WHS machine and then connect to it directly. For example, if your WHS machine's IP address was 192.168.1.150 then in your web browser you could browse to this: https://192.168.1.150/remote

The link that @Michael Brown posted is fantastic and includes steps about how to determine what the IP address is on your WHS box. Once you can connect to your WHS from within your network, THEN you start working on connecting to it from outside your LAN. This is where the uPnp stuff and your router's setup come into play.

Edited by eagle63

ikon

Keep uPnp enabled for now on your router. If you disable this, you will need to set a static IP address on your WHS box as well as setup port forwarding on your router. UPnp does that dirty work for you. Yes, uPnp is a security risk, but until you get this all working I think it's an acceptable one. (baby steps)

I agree it's not a bad idea to enable UPnP for testing purposes, but I also recommend turning it off as soon as you can.

I believe every server should have a static IP address; so should printers, routers, etc. I feel DHCP addresses should be used only for client computers. Reserved IP addresses for servers, printers, etc. are a reasonable compromise, but I still prefer fully static addresses.

Also, riffing on Ikon's question about whether you're inside or outside your LAN.. I think you need to try and get this working from INSIDE your LAN first. Your router shouldn't be preventing you from connecting to your WHS from inside your LAN. So you need to figure out what the IP address is of your WHS machine and then connect to it directly. For example, if your WHS machine's IP address was 192.168.1.150 then in your web browser you could browse to this: https://192.168.1.150/remote

I have to disagree a bit here. MAD4TECH's whole point, if I understand correctly, is to get it working with the MS provided URL. Certainly, you can use the local IP address to browse in, and I've done it, but that won't help from outside your LAN. In my experience, there are often more problems trying to use MS-provided URLs inside a LAN than outside.

eagle63

I have to disagree a bit here. MAD4TECH's whole point, if I understand correctly, is to get it working with the MS provided URL. Certainly, you can use the local IP address to browse in, and I've done it, but that won't help from outside your LAN. In my experience, there are often more problems trying to use MS-provided URLs inside a LAN than outside.

I meant this only as a sanity-check to make sure he can hit his WHS machine from inside the LAN and verify that the Remote Web Access feature is on/working/etc. I fully expect this to work, but again - baby steps.