RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
MAD4TECH

Can't gain access to remote web access

MAD4TECH

No, the URL length does not matter. I'd almost guarrantee you it;s the router as this topic has come up before.

Can we have the URL to see if any of us can resolve it thru nslookup?

i think so to thank you for the help :)

No, the URL length does not matter. I'd almost guarrantee you it;s the router as this topic has come up before.

Can we have the URL to see if any of us can resolve it thru nslookup?

it is comandcenter.homeserver.com

Here's a link to some router setup guidelines for WHS 2011. I used them to setup my DIR-825 and they worked great.

http://social.techne...uter-setup.aspx

i will give it a go thanks for the reply :)

Michael Brown

I'm able to hit your login page.

Just a dumb question (since I'm also pretty dumb about this kind of stuff), have you given the user names on your server the permissions to use remote access?

• Like 1

ikon

Yes, I get the login prompt too.

• Like 1

MAD4TECH

My 2 cents:

Keep uPnp enabled for now on your router. If you disable this, you will need to set a static IP address on your WHS box as well as setup port forwarding on your router. UPnp does that dirty work for you. Yes, uPnp is a security risk, but until you get this all working I think it's an acceptable one. (baby steps)

Also, riffing on Ikon's question about whether you're inside or outside your LAN.. I think you need to try and get this working from INSIDE your LAN first. Your router shouldn't be preventing you from connecting to your WHS from inside your LAN. So you need to figure out what the IP address is of your WHS machine and then connect to it directly. For example, if your WHS machine's IP address was 192.168.1.150 then in your web browser you could browse to this: https://192.168.1.150/remote

The link that @Michael Brown posted is fantastic and includes steps about how to determine what the IP address is on your WHS box. Once you can connect to your WHS from within your network, THEN you start working on connecting to it from outside your LAN. This is where the uPnp stuff and your router's setup come into play.

Thank you so much you have been a great help the example you gave me (192.168.1.150/remote) I think I have found my IP by going on to my server on command prom typing IPconfig I type in my IP that I found and it works I can log in so this IP I have found on my server is this the IP that I need to set as my static IP or port forwarding it??

MAD4TECH

I'm able to hit your login page.

Just a dumb question (since I'm also pretty dumb about this kind of stuff), have you given the user names on your server the permissions to use remote access?

no probs yes it is :)

eagle63

Thank you so much you have been a great help the example you gave me (192.168.1.150/remote) I think I have found my IP by going on to my server on command prom typing IPconfig I type in my IP that I found and it works I can log in so this IP I have found on my server is this the IP that I need to set as my static IP or port forwarding it??

Hold on, Ikon and Michael Brown just stated that they could hit your login page - so it sounds like your router is correct forwarding the traffic to your WHS. Did you give remote access to the user your trying to log-in as?

• Like 1

MAD4TECH

my girlfriend cant get on it she lives 1 hour away from me not that should make a difrence lol

MAD4TECH

Hold on, Ikon and Michael Brown just stated that they could hit your login page - so it sounds like your router is correct forwarding the traffic to your WHS. Did you give remote access to the user your trying to log-in as?

thanks for the reply it shows remote access is allowed but if i type the domain name into browser it dos not work but if i type the IP i found on the server for exsample 192.1168.1.***/remote it go's to login page so im stumpt lol :unsure:

thanks for the reply if i type the domain name into browser it dos not work but if i type the IP i found on the server for exsample 192.1168.1.***/remote it go's to login page so im stumpt lol :unsure:

ikon

thanks for the reply if i type the domain name into browser it dos not work but if i type the IP i found on the server for exsample 192.1168.1.***/remote it go's to login page so im stumpt lol :unsure:

This is exactly the problem I was alluding to earlier. It's often the case that you can't connect inside your LAN using the MS URL, but you can almost always connect using the IP. The problem is caused by DNS issues. Your client PC can't connect to the server because it can't resolve the URL to your outside/internet address. There is no single cause of this. It could be that your router doesn't permit looping back from LAN IP to your internet IP. It's not really an issue. You can simply use the IP address. You can also, if you like, add the name and IP of your server to the hosts file of your client PC. You should then be able to connect using the URL. I'm not recommending it, but it's possible.

eagle63 makes an excellent point. If you don't give Remote Access rights to the User ID to want to login with, it won't work. What we confirmed is that your server and router are correctly resolving your location.

• Like 1

MAD4TECH

yes i did :)