RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Any recommendations for dual-harddrive docking stations

capall

I'm thinking about using a dual drive docking station as a means to rotating backup drives offsite. Idea is to use one drive for the OS backup(eg 1Tb 2.5in) and the other drive for the data backup (2g 2TB 3.5in), one in each slot, at the same time. Then have 2 of the same drives stored offsite, which would be rotated in.

Any recommendations?, or am I better off with two separate docks. Was thinking about this over USB drives.

thanks guys, both look perfect for offsite rotating disks. ikon showed me the thermal lake recently but due to the description, I thought the dual bays were only for duplicating disks, but the can obviously be operated as 2 separate drives as well.

1. Have you had any issues with them when rotating back in the second drives?

2. I have a microserver which does not have a port multiplier, will I still be able to access both drive independently via USB 2.0?

thanks

capall

I bought the cheapest one I could find a couple years ago and it is still going strong. Unless you want USB 3.0, go for cheap.

I bought the cheapest one I could find a couple years ago and it is still going strong. Unless you want USB 3.0, go for cheap.

For sure, if you want USB3, get a tier 1 device. I've had 2 generic USB3 docks, both of which did not perform well at all. I have a Thermaltake USB3 that works well.