RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

SBS 2008 and WHS on one Router???

Clivens

Hi all
I have one HP WHS and one router with a static IP and now have a SBS 2007 added to my network but remote access is a problem because both servers need the same ports Hmmm.
I have Goggled the question but only to find I will have to change ports with ???.homeserver.com:4433 not ideal, the only other thing I could consider is to get a second IP from my ISP.
If anyone has any idea please let me know.
Thanks
Clive

Do you need access to both from remote? Can you use Live Mesh or something like that?
If you do, then yeah, changing ports on one of the devices is your best route.

Yes it is going to be changing ports as I am going to using MS Exchange for mobile Email.
Thanks for your help usacomp2k3

If your router lets you, you should be able to change the external port without having to actually change the port on the server. In the port forwarding of your router, just tell it that port 3388 (for example) should be redirected to the 2nd server in your network at port 3389. Then, when you are connect to outside, you connect to your.homeserver.com:3388

A lot of cheap routers like the Linksys for home use will not allow a Port to be forwarded to a different port for example 442 -> 443 but you could change the port on the server to listen on 442 and simply forward 442 -> to 442. I am guessing this is your issue Clivens? If you wanted to provide what model of Firewall/Router you are using we might be able to provide more assistance.

Having 2 servers on LAN side on 443 would not usually be a problem unless you have a simple router as described above. I prefer routers that will forward to a different destination port as Usacomp2k3 has shown, so when you are working on the LAN side everything is normal and you just have to track the abnormal port mapping for external usage. We do this RDP connections to servers all the time and prefer to use non standard ports on the external mapping as an added level of security.

Thanks for the screen shot very handy what router is that usacomp2k3?

I am using a US.Robotics Router/Modem sure connect.

Thanks for your help as well miket.mcse my router is old but it has never let me down in 5 years
I am going to buy a new Router at the weekend any recommendations?

It was a $30 D-Link WBR-2310 802.11g. I'm a very loyal D-Link customer mainly because of the features.