RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

I'm thinking about buying a Synology DS1512+ but I have a question...

MrEd

My old v1 HP Home Server has bitten the dust after many years of faithful service. :(

One of the features that I came to value (in a very big way) a few times was it's ability to do full drive restores from bare new drives. I'm wondering if the Synology has the same feature. Does it actually do imagining? It's not clear from what I've read...

As far as I have seen, only if you third party solutions like Acronis and use the synology as a destination. WHS stands alone in this area. You might consider WHS 2011

I agree with pcdoc on both points: the Synology does not support bare metal restores, and WHS does bare metal restores better than any other product.

All correct. Synology's backup software is file level only and it will never compare to v1's SIS method of backing up PC's. You can use Acronis which is awesome and will work like you want but it will take more disk space if you have multiple PC's. Otherwise, the Synology is a great box. I couldn't recommend it any higher than I already do.

Thanks for dropping in here MrED. Maybe I should put one of my EX470's in the marketplace. Seems like v1 is making a comeback!

I agree with pcdoc on both points: the Synology does not support bare metal restores, and WHS does bare metal restores better than any other product.

Is that statement also true for deduplication / single instance store for backups, bare-metal capable or not?

Is that statement also true for deduplication / single instance store for backups, bare-metal capable or not?

I not sure I completely understand your question but WHS has SIS for client backups, including for bare metal restore.

Yeah, I could have phrased that more clearly. I meant is WHS also better than any other product - Synology / Drobo kinds of comparisons - with single instance store / deduplication efficiency. Are the backups made with Synology / Drobo clients full backups and incremental backups per device with no cross-device deduplication and so forth as WHS does to minimize consumed space. I think they are (individual and not deduplicated) but I've never actually seen that stated.