RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Moving from the RC to retail

vertisol

hi,

happily playing with the RC version at the moment and will most likely look to sticking with essentials to run my server into the future.

Presumabley the RC install will have a limited life once microsoft officially release essentials for sale and therefore I would need to do a clean install at that stage.

Do you think I will be able to reinstate a backup of the server from RC onto a new install of the retail version or will I just have to start from scratch and change whatever settings/ install extra software etc to rebuild the system the way I have it set up now?

if it's the latter I guess I better start documenting everything..

hi,

happily playing with the RC version at the moment and will most likely look to sticking with essentials to run my server into the future.

Presumabley the RC install will have a limited life once microsoft officially release essentials for sale and therefore I would need to do a clean install at that stage.

Do you think I will be able to reinstate a backup of the server from RC onto a new install of the retail version or will I just have to start from scratch and change whatever settings/ install extra software etc to rebuild the system the way I have it set up now?

if it's the latter I guess I better start documenting everything..

It's been done. Check out how Paul Therrott did it in Windows Server 2012 Essentials: Migrate to Essentials where he explaines how he did his migration from RC to RTM. A good read with some good ideas on how to configure S2012E.