RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Security Software for the Server

joem

What security software is recommended for WHS 2012 Essentials? I have read conflicting information on this subject. Thanks for your anticipated input.

Windows Defender. It comes pre-installed, IIRC. And is free.

I believe AVG File Server edition works on it too.

@Ikon, as long as you don't install anything that downloads files of any kind on the server, and have no viruses on other computers that will copy itself and run itself on the server, you're fine. Since I'm a) paranoid, and B) do download on my server, I'd rather have an antivirus program installed on my server.

And that's perfectly reasonable. Each person has their own way(s) of using their system(s) and needs to take appropriate measures to protect those systems. I've never had an issue, but that doesn't mean others won't. I'm only saying that restricting the server to pure server functions makes it pretty safe. That said, it's important to address one's paranoias. :)

Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me! :P

And that I download directly to the server (usenet, as well as image processing for sickbeard/metadata), it is a good idea to use protection. :)

Windows Defender. It comes pre-installed, IIRC. And is free.

I believe AVG File Server edition works on it too.

@Ikon, as long as you don't install anything that downloads files of any kind on the server, and have no viruses on other computers that will copy itself and run itself on the server, you're fine. Since I'm a) paranoid, and B) do download on my server, I'd rather have an antivirus program installed on my server.

windows Defender is pre-installed on S2012E? How did you find it -- I know it's on Win 8 but haven't been able to find WD on S2012 or it's siblings.

I do believe the best defense is a layered defense and a defense in depth. Early on i found 2 viruses on my V1 server -- don't know how they got there but they were in a file that had been copied to a share folder -- I was very happy that there was an AV pgm on the server to catch that slip. (BTW: I don't surf from my Server)