RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

How Does WHS Help in a MB failure.

tbowland

Failure

The topic says it all really.
We all know how great and the real preliminary purpose of WHS is in HDD failure but what about when a Motherboard fails.

Of course I'm asking because I have a system that has had a MB fail. Drives are fine but the motherboard needs replacing.

I know that the most important thing, the data, is secure.....thank you WHS but can WHS save any of the hours it will take to reinstall and reconfigure everything as it was.

On this machine especially it is important because in my wife

Re: How Does WHS Help in a MB failure.

p.s. I know if I replaced the MB with the ABSOLUTE same HW and Bios settings it is possible I could do a OS rebuild but of course I don't have and can't get the same MB.

Ted

Ted,
Many times if you are just replacing motherboard or CPU, the system will redetect everything and all will come up as before without losing anything and you do not have to do a OS rebuild if you are not replacing the system drive. I have done it several times with no issues as long as you stay in the same camp (intel chip set or AMD chipset) you have a pretty good chance of not having to do anything. You will most likely have to re-activate but that is not an issue. The closer you get to same generation chipset the better. Good luck and let us know.

Vista and Windows 7 get along nice with a motherboard replacement. It may reboot a few times loading new drivers but it should be able to boot after a few reboots from loading drivers.

XP isn

You should be fine. Restore the PC. Worst case, if it fails to boot, then do a repair of Windows and you're good to go.

For XP, you would want to do a system repair like what AJ said. This doesn't always work, since the installers are pretty old and don't have drivers for newer equipment, but it should be enough to make it boot. After that you just need to install the latest drivers for all your components and you'll be set.

If you're talking about XP, there is hope for you. On UBCD4Win, there's a utility called Fix HDC. Basically, it sets your hard disk controller to use generic drivers. That way there's no hardware conflicts and thus no BSOD. You'll be able to boot to desktop. You may have to reactivate but that easy enough. "Had to replace a dead motherboard," is all you have to tell them if they should ask.

So what you'd do is install the new mobo, run a PC restore from WHS, then before you boot for the first time into Windows XP's desktop, you'd first boot up with UBCD4Win and run FIX HDC. It's pretty straight forward. Just follow the prompts. I've successfully done this once, so I've seen it work. I also told my brother who occasionally mobo replacement for his customers, and this trick is saving him a little nice chunk of time.

OK !
This is sounding hopefull.
The machine in question is a Win 7 / Intel.
The new hardware
Same form factor - mini-itx
Different manufacturer
Same processor
and although it is a different chipset it will be Intel same as the old MB

I'm going to give it a go this week.
Any other info/help/suggestions??

Thanks
Ted