RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
foy1der

Those looking for 3TB Reds, it's your turn.

Jason

I agree these drives are likely to drop in price closer to the holiday if not the new year (as indicated by recent 2 TB deal). At that point I'm going to replace a set of 4 x 1.5 TB 7200 RPM Seagate drives (6 TB) in my RAID5 with these and essentially double my RAID5 capacity to almost 12 TB (50% gain). Of course I'll lose some usable space to parity.

Also hoping the failure rate decreases. The newegg reviews on their failure rate is a bit frightening at best...

Jason

Despite the staggering failure rate on these WD Red drives, I went ahead and pulled the trigger and picked up 5 based on the size and warranty (3 yrs.). Plan to replace a current RAID array (4 HDDs) and have 1 spare HDD on-hand.

ikon

Despite the staggering failure rate on these WD Red drives, I went ahead and pulled the trigger and picked up 5 based on the size and warranty (3 yrs.). Plan to replace a current RAID array (4 HDDs) and have 1 spare HDD on-hand.

Where are you getting your WD Red failure rate info?

Jason

From the first hand accounts ad reviews on Newegg and Amazon. Though it seems the solid warranty offsets the issues over time.

ikon

OK. I'm always a little sceptical of those reviews. Not that they're useless by any means, but it is important to remember that you mostly are going to hear from people who had problems, so the stats are severely skewed. I also suspect there may be a bit of "new model shakedown" jitters involved. Not that I'm excusing WD by any means; they should have ironed out all the bugs before releasing the product. It will be really interesting to hear your experience.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Anyone worried these are just relabeled green drives?

ikon

Anyone worried these are just relabeled green drives?

Nope. They have new tech in them that the Greens never had/have.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Nope. They have new tech in them that the Greens never had/have.

I would probably never buy one but it s good to know. Just based on reviews it seems they fail just as often, if not more.