RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS V1 Restore

ImTheTypeOfGuy

After three or four years it looks like I need to do a restore as I am starting to have several problems creep up. Anyone have a link to a guide on how to do a restore? I have never had to do it so am a bit concerned as I don't want to screw anything up. My data is backed up to two other locations but I would hate to have to restore the data.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• diehard

• ImTheTypeOfGuy

• zgadgeter

• ikon

Rather than a 'Restore', I think you want to do a 'Recovery'. A Restore will put the system back to factory defaults and the data drives will have to be wiped. A Recovery will allow you to keep your Data Pool intact.

You need the Server Recovery Disk and, most importantly, you have to uninstall the Connector from the computer you use to do the Recovery. If you don't uninstall the Connector, the Recovery will fail. I know this from bitter experience.

Just make sure that the option to "Recover" comes up when your running the Restore Software. Some times there may be an issue due to hardware and only "New Installation" is available, if that's the case, then quit and let us know. Because that will format the data drives.

Rather than a 'Restore', I think you want to do a 'Recovery'. A Restore will put the system back to factory defaults and the data drives will have to be wiped. A Recovery will allow you to keep your Data Pool intact.

You need the Server Recovery Disk and, most importantly, you have to uninstall the Connector from the computer you use to do the Recovery. If you don't uninstall the Connector, the Recovery will fail. I know this from bitter experience.

Umm, good point. If I remove the connector, do I just rdp into the server to manage the recovery? Did you keep the same hostname after your recovery.

Just make sure that the option to "Recover" comes up when your running the Restore Software. Some times there may be an issue due to hardware and only "New Installation" is available, if that's the case, then quit and let us know. Because that will format the data drives.

Hopefully I don't have that problem as it sounds like the solution is a hack at best. :)

Looked at the event viewer and saw the following error. Of course the link is worthless. Anyone see this error before? I get it when I force a backup. The backup fails and then the backup service shuts down.

D (referenced below) is 1.8TB's and 960GB's are free.

System event.

Event Type: Error

Event Source: VolSnap

Event Category: None

Event ID: 25

Date: 11/13/2012

Time: 3:23:10 PM

User: N/A

Computer: BOOMER

Description:

The shadow copies of volume D: were deleted because the shadow copy storage could not grow in time. Consider reducing the IO load on the system or choose a shadow copy storage volume that is not being shadow copied.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp.

Data:

0000: 00000000 00580002 00000000 c0060019

0010: 00000003 00000000 00000002 00000000

0020: 00000000 00000000

Umm, good point. If I remove the connector, do I just rdp into the server to manage the recovery? Did you keep the same hostname after your recovery.

Nope. Good news. You just boot from the Server Recovery CD on the client computer from which you've uninstalled the Connector. The Connector will be automatically reinstalled as part of the Recovery.

The shadow copies of volume D: were deleted because the shadow copy storage could not grow in time. Consider reducing the IO load on the system or choose a shadow copy storage volume that is not being shadow copied.

Sounds like you may be running out of disk space. Is that possible?

Home Server Events:

Event Source: HomeServer

Event Category: Backup

Event ID: 272

Time: 3:26:58 PM

Computer: server

Description:

Unexpected error 0x20 from CreateFile on D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}\Index.4096.dat: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp.

Event Source: HomeServer

Event Category: Backup

Event ID: 267

Time: 3:26:58 PM

Computer: server

Description:

Client Backup server failed at d:\wssg_src\whs_pp3\qhs\src\backup\util\diskfile.cpp(145)

Nope. Good news. You just boot from the Server Recovery CD on the client computer from which you've uninstalled the Connector. The Connector will be automatically reinstalled as part of the Recovery.

Sounds like you may be running out of disk space. Is that possible?

Oh. I figured the recovery cd went in the server.

I thought space may had been the issue but I have 960 GB's free.

Oh. I figured the recovery cd went in the server.

Oh. I'm glad I was able to clear that up for you. The Server Recovery CD does indeed go into a client computer. This is because WHS is supposed to be headless, so you would have no way to see what was happening if you tried it on the server. I have done it successfully a number of times. The bit about uninstalling the Connector on the client computer is the only 'gotchya' I can think of.

You sig says your v1 server is a Dell, so it's a self built server ? You have a monitor ? If you had a MediaSmart or Acer then you have to put the server into recovery mode and run the Server OS from a client. Otherwise you boot the server off the Windows Home Server Server Recovery DVD. Then once it's all done. You open a web page on the PC to http://server:55000 to configure the OOBE Out Of Box Experience and it installs the connector.

You have to reinstall all addins and recreate the User Accounts, if the user accounts are the same as before, it will pull in the data from the shares. You also have to do all the Windows Updates.

This folder D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4} is where the PC Backups are stored, it could be on any/all drives. If you look into the folder, you should see all the PC backup 4GB files.