RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Streaming WTV/MKV to iOS devices?

Jason

Has anyone found an alternative to Air Video Server or Stream To Me for streaming WTV and MKV video from WS2012E to iOS devices? It appears that StreamToMe will not run on WS2012. Air Video Server does but reports all WTV as 'invalid' files.

Has anyone found an alternative to Air Video Server or Stream To Me for streaming WTV and MKV video from WS2012E to iOS devices? It appears that StreamToMe will not run on WS2012. Air Video Server does but reports all WTV as 'invalid' files.

As Dave stated, AirPlayIT however Stream to me does work on 2012. What exactly did not work or what error message were you getting?

One other option if you can't get anything to work is one I use and that is to use VM. I have two of the 3 running in a VM with no issues. I did this not because I could not get it to work but rather to avoid too much junk of my server. Just my two cents.

Hi, try downloading the latest BETA version for air video server, I have it running on WHS2011 and it plays WTVs, never had an issue.

Yes, I did have Air Video Server BETA running once under WHS2011 successfully. However, under WS2012E it now seems to reflect WTV files as "invalid". Also I am unable to run the Hyper-V role on my WS2012E so a VM may not be an option.

As Dave stated, AirPlayIT however Stream to me does work on 2012. What exactly did not work or what error message were you getting?

Am running Air PlayIt now under WS2012E. In fact, I believe I saw it on your pcdoc blog/guide. Seems to work rather well. However I've noticed that many MKV converted to WTV (DVRMSToolbox) that play fine under Win 7 Media Center are reported as "invalid" in Air Video Server and Air Playit. In fact, this is what prompted me to look for a different streaming app. As of this morning, I've used Air Playit, and, in cases where I encounter "invalid/damaged file" (WTV), I simply re-grab the MKV source file and it converts/streams it OK. An inconvenience but perhaps less of one than trying to pinpoint that MKV -> WTV conversion issue.

As for StreamToMe -- I installed under WS2012E but had to launch it manually. Upon doing so, none of the info was populated (IP, server status unknown, etc.) nor would it retain any settings if I added a file path, etc. I attributed this to either a compatibility or permissions issue. When I tried to launch as administrator, same result. The same applied no matter what compatibility mode I tried (Win XP SP2, XP SP3, Win 7, etc.). Eventually I just uninstalled it altogether.

Am running Air PlayIt now under WS2012E. In fact, I believe I saw it on your pcdoc blog/guide. Seems to work rather well. However I've noticed that many MKV converted to WTV (DVRMSToolbox) that play fine under Win 7 Media Center are reported as "invalid" in Air Video Server and Air Playit. In fact, this is what prompted me to look for a different streaming app. As of this morning, I've used Air Playit, and, in cases where I encounter "invalid/damaged file" (WTV), I simply re-grab the MKV source file and it converts/streams it OK. An inconvenience but perhaps less of one than trying to pinpoint that MKV -> WTV conversion issue.

As for StreamToMe -- I installed under WS2012E but had to launch it manually. Upon doing so, none of the info was populated (IP, server status unknown, etc.) nor would it retain any settings if I added a file path, etc. I attributed this to either a compatibility or permissions issue. When I tried to launch as administrator, same result. The same applied no matter what compatibility mode I tried (Win XP SP2, XP SP3, Win 7, etc.). Eventually I just uninstalled it altogether.

Interesting and thanks for the info. Does sound like there some issues with the conversion process or codecs. As for the Stream to Me, that is pretty strange as I have it running on the RTM version of 2012E as well as 2012 standard with no issues using the latest version of their server. It starts correctly and remembers all the folders. I assume when you installed it you chose "all users" or you are logging in as the installed user? I have tried it on the RC version as well with good luck.

pcdoc, which do you prefer -- StreamToMe or Air PlayIt? Perhaps I need to give StreamToMe another try. Actually installed it under my primary WS2012E server admin account that it has you create during the WS2012E OS install. All-in-all I love WS2012E so I'm trying to avoid moving to WS2012 standard with VMs (for this one application) if I can help it. Thanks for your insights.

pcdoc, which do you prefer -- StreamToMe or Air PlayIt? Perhaps I need to give StreamToMe another try. Actually installed it under my primary WS2012E server admin account that it has you create during the WS2012E OS install. All-in-all I love WS2012E so I'm trying to avoid moving to WS2012 standard with VMs (for this one application) if I can help it. Thanks for your insights.

Actually they are both good but I would have to say I like AirPlayIT a bit better. I like the ability to change the resolution on the fly and it seems a bit more efficient at streaming. That said, it is a close call. I guess the real decision is whether or not you need to stream other things such as music or photos. In that case, Stream to me is the best choice.