RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Storing raw camera files on Server not showing up in Windows 8 Photo App

awesmdiver

I have noticed a strange thing and wondering if anyone can confirm if its an issue or just something on my side. Basically this issue is this:

For .NEF (Nikon) or .CR2 (Canon) raw files that are stored locally on the Windows 8 machine, they display fine in the Photos App. However, if these are stored on a server, in this case, Windows Server 2012 Essentials (acting as home server), they do not even register that the pictures are in the directory let along display them.

For example, I can have 10 files in the directory: 2, .nef - 3, .cr2 and 5, .jpg - the total number of files displayed is only 5, for the .jpg - the raw files do not exist as far as the Photo app is concerned.

But after some more testing, where I copied the same files to another Windows 8 desktop, and added that directory to my pictures library the files showed up fine.

I gather the Microsoft Camera Codec program needs to be installed for this to work, but unfortunately it is not available for Windows Server 2012 so from what I can tell without this package you cannot store and display raw files on an external server.

I also installed FastPictureView Codec on Windows Server 2012 Essentials and confirmed I can view the .NEF and .CR2 in both File Explorer and Windows Photo Viewer on the server itself; however, the Photo App on desktop still does not see nor recognize that these types of files are available for viewing.

Note: The files display fine in File Explorer on the Windows 8 desktop, they jut don't display in the "metro" Photo App.

Edited by awesmdiver

Ikon,

FastPictureViewer does work on the server if you want to view the images on the server, my issue is I cannot view them on a connected Windows 8 workstation using the Photos App.

So, yes I'm just looking for someone to verify this for me.

Can you confirm that the folder is included in the Photos Library on the server.

The Metro app will not see photos if they are not indexed by the Photos Library.

diehard

Yes, the directory is added to the pictures library on my desktop and for kicks I even logged into the server with my same credentials and added it there too. Still nothing.

As mentioned, if I add a directory from another Windows 8 desktop to my local libraries the raw files show up no problem, it's only when they are stored on the Essentials server.

Do you have raw camera files on your server and can you see them?

Ikon,

I have Fast Picture Viewer on my desktop and that doesn't work either for files on the server. Again, on Server doesn't work - on local or another Windows 8 desktop, works fine.