RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Backing Up the server itself.

joem

I have been reading conflicting information about backing up the server itself. The documentation indicates that it has to be an attached external hard disk. In other parts of the documentation it states that if you add a new disk to the server it will give you the option to use it for the server backup.

I just want to be clear about this. In my testing phase I have been backing up to an external disk (attached via an eSata drive toaster) which includes the system state, server image, client images and the user folders. I am not sure I would use the option to backup to an internal disk, but it would be something to consider under certain circumstances and environments.

Could someone please shed some light on this? Thanks guys.

It is not necessary to have the server OS backup drive external; an internal drive will work fine. Many people use external drives because they can take them offsite.

Agree with Ikon, but any new disk you add to the server, whether internal or external, will give you the option to dedicate it to server backup in the first instance.

That explains it. Thank you very much. I think I will stay with external. I will probably have to use some type of Synology box that has a lot of drive space with a few drives in it to attach externally for the server backup. I plan on buying three WD Red drives at 3 terabytes each for my storage. Don't know yet if I will parity, mirror a couple of them or what yet. So many options. I'm using an HP Microserver. That popular one with the four drive bays.

You're decision now is whether to back up everything using the Server Backup utility, or to back up only the OS partition, and perhaps the client backups, using Server Backup and to back up the data using something like RoboCopy or Allway Sync. The answer could affect what kind of external enclosure you need/want.

I am thinking I will backup the OS drive and the client images to an external drive and backup data using Syncback to another computer over the network.

If you check other threads, you'll find a detailed description of what I'm doing. Basically, I have 5 copies of all static data and 4 copies of dynamic data - 2 of those copies are rotating offsite backups.

Here's a link with some more info about my setup: http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/1899-whs-2011-storage-strategy/page__st__140