RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
peter.j.k

16 gb ram for N36L v.s. N40L

Louie

Thank you for the post. I did receive my 16gb memory last night. I notice the BIOS picked up the memory and everything was running nice and smooth. If I plan to use the 16gb memory is there a way to know if I will run into problems with them? My whole goal was to build a lab at home for my studies. I will be running a couple of VM's and stuff. I know other members said their machines get locked up or have some system issue. 

Just want to test the 16gb to make sure it works or if not send it back. 

ikon

Probably the best test I can think of is to run memtest86 for 24 or 48 hours.

Joe_Miner

After you complete your memtest's you may want to restart a few dozen times to see how many times 16GB vs 8GB show up on post.

ikon

Good idea JM. I recall you saying that you got different results on reboots with certain makes/models of DIMM. That might even be the best first test to conduct.

Louie

i will do that tonight a couple times. Other thing is memtest86 a free software or is there a free version?

ikon

memtest86 is free. Just search for it on the Internet; very easy to find.

I would reboot quite a few more than a couple of times. Try 8 or 10.

Louie

Well i restarted it about 4 time but on the 5 time I got a error message ... A blue screen saying something about 

CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT Blue Screen

now was that suppose to happen if the memory was an issue? I turn it off and restarted it again without any problems... 

ikon

Hmmmm, usually what your would see is that the system would report finding less RAM than is actually installed. Is it possible you turned the power switch off and on really quickly? Generally, I wait for at least 10 seconds before powering back up.

Louie

Well what I was doing was just restarting the system. Every time the hyper-v core would be up i log in and restart. I guess I was doing it wrong from what you said. 

Am i suppose to turn off the system then turn it on every time to see if it keeps reading the same memory?

ikon

Yeah, you really need to power it off and back on. That's the real test IMHO. And, like I said, I wait at least 10 seconds between power off and on.

JM, do you concur?