RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
peter.j.k

16 gb ram for N36L v.s. N40L

Joe_Miner

I would like to add my newly installed N54L

Replaced stock Samsung 2GB with 16Gb of Kingston KHX16C10B1BK2/16X works just fine with stock bios and the TheBay modded bios.  

However, WHS 2011 only uses 8GB of it thanks to M  :(

I've just put 16gb in my N40L, stock BIOS, OS is seeing all 16Gb but is saying only 8gb usable, presumably because of the WHS2011 limit?

WHS2011 is derived from Server 2008-R2 Foundation http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Server_2008_R2 which is limited to being only able to use a maximum of 8GB of RAM.

Schoondoggy and others have used the extra 8GB of RAM available, when WHS2011 is installed, as a RAM Disk which may be something to investigate http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5980-has-anyone-loaded-run-whs-2011-on-a-gen8/?p=66598

Though with 16GB of RAM in a N40L or N54L sometimes all that is available is 8GB -- those MicroServer's are only rated for 8GB so its a gamble on if they will see the full 16GB.

The Gen8's are rated for 16GB, BTW.

Trig0r

Hmm, RAM disk, didnt think of that, could be an interesting option...

I picked a 16Gb kit that was confirmed as working on the N40L wiki page so it was a simple case of me not reading the OS limitations..

I've got a spare 840Evo that I can play with so I might drop a trial install on that and see how it goes, worse case scenario could be possibly setting up WHS2011 as a VM inside the 2012SEr2 install, arse over tit way of doing things though...

RacerX

On my N54L

Control Panel\System and Security\System

Installed Memory (RAM): 16.0 GB (8.00 GB usable)

On the other hand Stablebit Drivepool 2.0 is excellent

Louie

After going threw this pin post I'm still a little confuse if the N40L is able to hold a 16gig memory or just 8gig. I received this server for free from a friend. It has the stock 2 gig and regular drive. 

I did some buy some memory for it but it was to big. The heat sink was way to big for the case. I really would like to have 16 gig of memory since I'm going to be running a lab at home with hyper-v vm's and some linux OS. 

If someone could point me in the right direction that would be great.

Joe_Miner

The N36L/N40L/N54L are rated/certified for 8GB of RAM but some people are successful to various degrees in getting 16GB to work -- it varies from MicroServer to MicroServer and from RAM brand to another and from Post to Post.  Your Mileage May (and will) Vary.  Check the Wikia and this and other threads and find out what others have had some success with but keep in mind that going with 16GB is a risk and it may never Post 16GB or it may only Post 16GB part of the time.

Louie

You are right its like rolling the dice and seeing if it works or not. I was thinking of getting 2 different rams one that is 16gig and a regular 8 gig one 

16gig I was planning to get since you mention it on other post

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0064R7LH8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2YLYLTN75J8LR

8gig People are saying works fine. 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007EHKXRW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

On a side note I was going to get this drive for now . If this works perfect I might get 3 more drives like this down the road or even build 5 drives with these HD. 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008JJLW4M/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

ikon

I'm getting a little confused. Are we talking about single 16GB DRAM sticks (i.e. 1x16GB) or are we talking about a total of 16GB (i.e. 2x8GB)?

JM, correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm not sure anyone has gotten 32GB to work in an N36L or N40L, have they?

Joe_Miner

I'm getting a little confused. Are we talking about single 16GB DRAM sticks (i.e. 1x16GB) or are we talking about a total of 16GB (i.e. 2x8GB)?

JM, correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm not sure anyone has gotten 32GB to work in an N36L or N40L, have they?

Rated/Certified by HP for 8GB TOTAL (2*4G Stick)  

while some have gotten 16GB TOTAL (2*8G Stick) to work or work sometimes or never work at all and only show 8GB useable.

Louie

Sorry if I'm confusing you. I will be using 2x8gig memory for a total of 16gig. If they don't work I will be sending those back. I will keep you guys updated . Hopefully I will receive them by this weekend for my test lab.

But you guys think it's a choose with the memory and drives?

One other thing I just thought about. Since one of my options is to get the 8gig stick alone would it be possible to get 2x8gig and install them? Will that work since this memory stick works good with the microserver. 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007EHKXRW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Or would it be better to get 2x4gig ones for a total of 8 gigs?

Edited by Louie

ikon

Yes you can. Other members have their MicroServers running with 10GB. You do lose memory dual-channel operation, so there is some performance loss. However, I don't recall any of those members saying there was too much of a performance hit.