RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
peter.j.k

16 gb ram for N36L v.s. N40L

ikon

There's a reason Newegg does that. Those packages of 2 or 4 RAM sticks are supposed to be matched at the factory for performance characteristics. For that reason I'm going to have to disagree with your policy of buying single sticks. I think you're taking a risky path doing that.

cskenney

Ikon is right that the packages of multiple sticks of RAM have been matched.  It doesn't mean buying separate sticks won't work but it may not be the best for performance.

oak

I would like to add another success with 16 GB of ram.

Last week I took a chance and bought the Crucial Ballistix 16 GB 1600 Sport VLP set from Newegg when it was on a shellshocker deal for $75. Last night I installed it in my newly acquired n54l and it works. I've only booted it a couple of times, but each time it has recognized the 16 GB in the bios as it boots and it shows up as 16 GB in the OS. Note, I am still using the stock bios on my n54l

jmwills

It does seem to appear that the 54L is acting more favorably to 16 gigs than the 40L series did.

ikon

Agreed. Haven't really heard of problems with 16GB on the N54L so far.

cpsimit

Are there any benefits of me getting the KVR1333D3E9SK2/16G over getting two KVR1333D3E9S/8G? The reason I ask is that it's £20 cheaper if I do the latter, plus it gives me the option to purchase 8GB now and then another 8GB at a later date.

ikon

Have a look at the 2 posts at the top of this page (5 and 6 posts above).

RacerX

I would like to add my newly installed N54L

Replaced stock Samsung 2GB with 16Gb of Kingston KHX16C10B1BK2/16X works just fine with stock bios and the TheBay modded bios.  

However, WHS 2011 only uses 8GB of it thanks to M  :(

Edited by RacerX

howiez69

I just put 2x8GB Kingston Technology HyperX Red KHX16C10B1RK2/16X in my N54L and it seems to be working fine, 16 in BIOS, 16 in WHS 2011 with 8 usable. Now on to learn ESXi...

Trig0r

I've just put 16gb in my N40L, stock BIOS, OS is seeing all 16Gb but is saying only 8gb usable, presumably because of the WHS2011 limit?