RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
peter.j.k

16 gb ram for N36L v.s. N40L

a15457

No worries Joe ... I'll be posting about a good deal on the N54Ls that I found on Static Ice.

Cheers,

Dave.

:)

kybalion

Well, I can confirmed that the Kingston 16GB ECC Server Memory KVR1333D3E9SK2/16G works on MY N54L G7 MicroServer -- it's been booting up 16GB all day today (so far -- knock on wood -- etc)

+1

Never boots as anything other than 16GB here as well.

ikon

That's good news. It would be great to have a make & model of RAM that is fully reliable in the N54L. Annnnd, this is perhaps another reason to get an N54L over an N40L.

Joe_Miner

Well, I can confirmed that the Kingston 16GB ECC Server Memory KVR1333D3E9SK2/16G works on MY N54L G7 MicroServer -- it's been booting up 16GB all day today (so far -- knock on wood -- etc)  -snip-

What I thought was interesting about this RAM was If you go over to NETPLUS www.netplus.com.au they list the above Kingston as 16 GB RAM for the MicroServer HP ProLiant N36L N40L N54L

-snip-

I can also confirm that this RAM works very Well in my N40L's................

Love These forums ... Joe I was looking at the netplus website yesterday. Have found the same RAM kits somewhere else slightly cheaper. Glad to see that someone else has done my testing for me.

:)

+1

Never boots as anything other than 16GB here as well.

That's good news. It would be great to have a make & model of RAM that is fully reliable in the N54L. Annnnd, this is perhaps another reason to get an N54L over an N40L.

It seem's the Kingston has been working in a lot of N54L's as well as N36L's and N40L's -- and NETPLUS believes so also -- of course YMMV

ikon

Generally speaking, would you say the N54Ls are more RAM tolerant than the N36L and N40L?

Joe_Miner

Generally speaking, would you say the N54Ls are more RAM tolerant than the N36L and N40L?

Generally speaking -- No.  For my sample size of one (1) N54L and two (2) N40L --- the Kingstons (16G & 8G) work on all three machines real solid and the G.Skill works on one (1) N54L and (1) N40L solid and one (1) N40L most of the time (6 out of 7) -- I have no experience (first hand) with the N36L's

Edited by Joe_Miner

ikon

Gotya. It is a small sample, but it's a start :)

kybalion

I've yet to find anyone for whom it doesn't show as 16GB every boot, which was why I bought it for my N54L. Of course, I sure would have hated to have been the first, and I can't guarantee someone else won't be.

ikon

It is possible HP made a tweak to the design of the N54L that has made it more compatible. That would be sweet actually. Keep your fingers crossed no one reports problems.

JTeague

To add another datapoint, I've never had any problems (knock on wood) with my N54L recognizing all 16GBs of my Kingston ECC memory on POST/reboots.  It looks to be a single of the dual Kingstons.  It happened to be cheaper when I ordered it, but I also prefer ordering 2 singles vs 1 dual package since Newegg has a policy where if you order packs of memory, you have to return them both (annoying when you only have one bad stick).