RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
peter.j.k

16 gb ram for N36L v.s. N40L

Distorted Vision

Okay thanks. Its a bit of a mystery. I'm wondering does it work reliably as 16Gb in the N56L as I'd consider upgrading.

cskenney

There are not enough people trying it with N54Ls to know yet.

Distorted Vision

I just rebooted it and its now showing 16Gb! I've shutdown and removed the power cable a few times and its still showing 16Gb. Mystery!

I can live with it as the machine is going to be run 24/7 so won't be rarely rebooted anyway.

ikon

I still worry that a machine that doesn't always, 100%, show 16GB on bootup isn't truly reliable. I mean, how can a person feel fully comfortable that finding all 16GB on this bootup means the RAM is operating perfectly.

Joe_Miner

Well, I can confirmed that the Kingston 16GB ECC Server Memory KVR1333D3E9SK2/16G works on MY N54L G7 MicroServer -- it's been booting up 16GB all day today (so far -- knock on wood -- etc)  YMMV -- the other 16GB set that I discuss in post 27 of this thread has been problematic for me though many people are having very good luck with that same RAM.  So what may work for me in MY specific machine may be problematic or not even work at all for someone else! Clearly YMMV!

What I thought was interesting about this RAM was If you go over to NETPLUS www.netplus.com.au they list the above Kingston as 16 GB RAM for the MicroServer HP ProLiant N36L N40L N54L

gallery_1229_27_49824.jpg

gallery_1229_27_111453.jpg

gallery_1229_27_24899.jpg

I can also confirm that this RAM works very Well in my N40L's................

Edited by Joe_Miner

ikon

The fact that YMMV in itself makes me worry. I mean we are talking about the same make & model of computer. If the same make & model of RAM works in some of them but not others, to me it means that RAM is right at the edge of compatibility. I wouldn't want that is a production server.

Joe_Miner

Well, I can now confirmed that the G.Skill 16GB Memory 16GB G.Skill F3-1333C9D-16GAO  works on MY N54L G7 MicroServer -- it's been booting up 16GB all evening yesterday (so far -- knock on wood -- etc) YMMV – This is the same set of 16GB RAM that had been problematic for me in my N40L where on every 4th to 7th boot it would only boot to 8GB though usually on the next Boot it would be back to the 16GB. So what may work for me in MY specific machine may be problematic or not even work at all for someone else! Clearly YMMV!

While the G.Skill was in the N54L it never booted up 8GB -- always showed 16GB.  I have since moved it to a different N40L (my original) and it has yet to Boot to 8GB -- always showing 16GB which indicates to me that even with identical machines there are subtle differences between the machines that can make the RAM perform slightly differently.

The N40L that had been problematic sometimes with the G.Skill 16GB has NOT had any problem booting with the 16GB Kingston -- interesting!  YMMV!!!

Edited by Joe_Miner

ikon

Thanks JM. Clearly, we're working at the edge of the envelope here.

a15457

Love These forums ... Joe I was looking at the netplus website yesterday. Have found the same RAM kits somewhere else slightly cheaper. Glad to see that someone else has done my testing for me.

:)

Joe_Miner

Thanks a15757!  If you find any good deals don't forget to post em in the Deals Forum!!