RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
peter.j.k

16 gb ram for N36L v.s. N40L

peter.j.k

I then repeated the process, this time with the Corsair CMX8GX3M1A1333C9. Booted with 16 gb, and loaded esxi 5.1, see atached.

shut down.

booted again, and 16 gb shows up again, in bios. Shut down Booted again, ok. Rebooted 3 more times to bios, all see 16gb. OK

>Do you actually need 16GB?

Well, I'm working on my VCP, set to take the exam in DEC, and 16 gb would be nice.

The 36L is actually my Production server, and i keep all the VM's I develop on it, mostly linux servers I put together for my customers, it runs Essentials.

this one I built with the P410/512 mb cache controller, and two Valioraptor 600gb drives in Raid one, for speed, I needed more UMPH for me 2003 Terminal Server VM. Also for testing VUM patches, I've learned NEVER to test patches from Vmware on a production box, so this one was my crash box, and eventually will be used to vmotion the servers for patching the other 36L box, once i build a Freenas SAN.

So for the Corsair 16 gb sticks seem to be working [for now], but it makes no sense why they all of the sudden work, see the process I followed to get them to work above. Weird.

>changing the RAM timings and/or voltages in the BIOS

any idea where I would do this in this bios ?

Edited by peter.j.k

cskenney

Not attachement (or picture) that I can see.

So now you are seeing 16GB at boot every time?

Joe_Miner (John Stutsman) has commented that his Microserver doesn't see 16GB of RAM about 1 out of every 5 restarts. Ikon is probably right that 16GB may be running right on the edge for timing / voltage.

peter.j.k

Cant figure out how to attach a picture, ugh!

Yes, it sees the Corsair sticks after the process above, placing 2 4gb sticks, shutting down, then the 16gb sticks, although, this same process did not work with the Patriot memory, it only saw it on the first boot.

So the recommendation of "I would set the system back to defaults, then boost the voltage to the RAM and/or change the RAM timings, then increase the clock rate again and try another boot. It was a processof trial and error." is probably spot on, the next question is where and to what settings.

The Northbridge bios setings seems to contain the memory options, allot of them....but i probably dont need to mess with them, as it's working now, WOOT!

Edited by peter.j.k

ikon

The Northbridge bios setings seems to contain the memory options, allot of them....

Yes, it can be a bit daunting to 'play' with the RAM settings. It is, I think, too much to go into here. I recommend you visit sites like http://overclockers.com and research the basic process of adjusting and testing RAM settings.

cskenney

Cant figure out how to attach a picture, ugh!

You can either put your pictures in the forums Gallery or you need to host them on some other site. I have used a public folder for Dropbox in the past for pictures but the forums Gallery works good too.

ikon

The only trick with the HSS Gallery is that you can easily not get the full link to the photo correct. If you get a weird error about the 'format not being supported', make sure the photo's actual name is at the end of the URL; not just the path.

Joe_Miner

Not attachement (or picture) that I can see.

So now you are seeing 16GB at boot every time?

Joe_Miner (John Stutsman) has commented that his Microserver doesn't see 16GB of RAM about 1 out of every 5 restarts. Ikon is probably right that 16GB may be running right on the edge for timing / voltage.

I'm thinking now it's closer to 1 out of 7 or 8 -- when it happens I just do another reboot/restart and I have 16 again.

I'm interested is your experience with your new RAM. Hopin it all works out for you!

Yeh, if it's working now I wouldn't mess with the BIOS.

Edited by Joe_Miner

ikon

Huh?