RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
peter.j.k

16 gb ram for N36L v.s. N40L

ikon

I got the good stuff. G-Skill and took the fins off....problem solved.

Do you 'fin' sharks too? :D

jmwills

When necessary!

Joe_Miner

Yeh, that's me --- living on the edge :)

peter.j.k

So I purchased yet another set of dims, same issue. the northbridge settings shows 2 sticks of 8, but on boot, only 8 are recongized.

Here's all the memory I tried, and all of them have been used and recommended by someone else.

Patriot: PDG316G1333ELK

Corsair: CMX8GX3M1A1333C9

Corsair Value Select CMV16GX3M2A133C9

My 36L uses the Patriot memory, no problems, 16 gb reboots everytime.

The 40L does not.

Where do I go from here? Bios? I'm using the bios recommended on this site, so is it a setting somewhere?

on the plus side, I'm really getting fast with swapping memory : )

Edited by peter.j.k

cskenney

I am at a loss for what to recommend. I have the Bios recommended from this site too. I just installed the Corsair CMX8G3M1A1333C9 memory and as soon as I booted it showed 16GB during startup of the box. I made no changes to any setting in the Bios.

ikon

I'm sure others are thinking it too, but I'm now really wondering if there is something about this particular N40L. I'm not necessarily saying it's faulty (although that sure seems to be a possibility), but perhaps this is a situation where the tolerances of the various chips are conspiring to not be able to handle 16GB.

jmwills

^^ What ikon said.

Does the server see both slots when using lesser amounts of RAM?

peter.j.k

yes, tested with 2, 4gb sticks, boots with 8 gb total, northbridge shows 4gb in each slot

I then installed the Patriot memory, removed the hp p410 raid controller and ilo card and it booted with 16 gb ram. I saved the bios settings, rebooted, and it's back to 8gb! : (

and I was able to reproduce the problem...

I placed a 4gb stick in, booted to bios, saw 4 gb in slot 1

Installed the Patriot memory, both slots, booted, it saw 16 gb [woot!]. I shut down, and booted again, no changes, and it sees 8 on the second boot up. What does this indicate?

Edited by peter.j.k

ikon

That normally indicates that the system is right on the edge of compatibility. In this case, the RAM detection routine is sometimes getting the proper responses from the RAM sticks in the alloted time slot, and sometimes it's not.

You may be able to get the system to consistently detect the RAM by changing the RAM timings and/or voltages in the BIOS. I used to do this when I was an overclocker. I would increase the clock rate of my system and it would become unstable, sometimes detecting the RAM correctly, sometimes not. I would set the system back to defaults, then boost the voltage to the RAM and/or change the RAM timings, then increase the clock rate again and try another boot. It was a processof trial and error.

• Like 1

cskenney

I would just drop back to 8GB. Do you actually need 16GB? If you want to get rid of that box I might cut you a deal (you mentioned pitching it in the first post).