RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
peter.j.k

16 gb ram for N36L v.s. N40L

peter.j.k

Hi everyone!

1st Post for me to this group. Hoping you all can help.

I've been running Vcenter Essentials on my N36L for about a year, and upgraded it with the bios mod from this firum, as well as 16 GB Ram kit from Patriot PGD316G1333ELK.

So far the mod and memory are working great on the 36L.

I recently purchased a N40L, and the SAME Patriot memory. Unfortunatly, the N40L only sees 8gb total.

I went to the Northbridge menu in bios, and it does show 2, individual 8gb sticks, but, during boot up, all it sees is 8 gb.

I messed around with the Northbridge bios settings, but nothing I changed there makes any difference. Seems like the Northbridge menu may have no effect on the 40L.

I'm getting ready to pitch this server.

Any ideas?

ikon

Is the Patriot RAM on the list of known working memory?

Joe_Miner

Hi everyone!

1st Post for me to this group. Hoping you all can help.

I've been running Vcenter Essentials on my N36L for about a year, and upgraded it with the bios mod from this firum, as well as 16 GB Ram kit from Patriot PGD316G1333ELK.

So far the mod and memory are working great on the 36L.

I recently purchased a N40L, and the SAME Patriot memory. Unfortunatly, the N40L only sees 8gb total.

I went to the Northbridge menu in bios, and it does show 2, individual 8gb sticks, but, during boot up, all it sees is 8 gb.

I messed around with the Northbridge bios settings, but nothing I changed there makes any difference. Seems like the Northbridge menu may have no effect on the 40L.

I'm getting ready to pitch this server.

Any ideas?

Hi Peter! Welcome to the Forums!

I didn’t do anything with the Northbridge settings. I installed the 16GB RAM after flashing the MOD-BIOS.

Full Disclosure – I talked about this at the meet-up: I have noticed that once out of every 7 or 8 boots/restarts it will only show 8GB during boot-up for me but my OS would still list 16Gb but with 8GB available. I correct that by rebooting/restarting and I’m back to 16 available. For a business production system that’s not good but for a home testing or “Play Box” that’s no problem for me anyway IMHO.

From what I’ve read on other blogs last Winter & Spring the Patriot Gamer 2 PGD316G1333ELK has worked well for many people in Europe and Australia but now you have me wondering if that was more with the N36L.

You can check the compatibility lists for the N40L at the HP ProIlant MicroServer Owner Club or on the HP MicroServer N40L Wiki as well as doing searches of the thread at the Owners Club.

Of course YMMV -- I would suggest going to the HP ProLiant MicroServer Owner Club and beginning around page 400 various owners describe their trials and successes/failures in installing 16GB. The Modules in the Compatibility lists at the Owner's club and on the Wiki have all been reported to work from the get-go.

In my own case I am using in my N40L the 16GB RAM from G.Skill (listed in my Parts List at The Icy Dock 5.25" Hot Swap Drive Caddy for a 2.5" and a 3.5" SATA Drive -- DuoSwap MB971SP-B ) while SBS-Diva is using in her N40L 16GB of Corsair RAM http://msmvps.com/blogs/bradley/archive/2012/10/30/hp-microserver-will-indeed-hold-16-gigs-of-ram.aspx?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

My only suggestion is to check the Compatibility Lists for alternatives to the Patriot.

UPDATE 6-6-2013

Check out the RAM Links in the MicroServer HardWare Links Thread.

Edited by Joe_Miner
  • Like 1

cskenney

I looked at the list already and it appears the Patriot Ram he is using is listed. Not sure why it's not working, though.

peter.j.k

Thanks a bunch

Yes, several people listed the Patriot memory as working.

http://www.virten.net/2012/09/homelab-upgrade-16gb-memory-with-hp-proliant-n40l-microserver/

I also tried another persons recommended memory, they swore it is working on their 40, Corsair CMX8GX3M1A1333C9

Same results. Shows each individual stick as 8 gb under Northbridge, but only a total of 8 gb are presented at boot up.

I do recall on just ONE occassion, the box did see all 16 gb during boot, but as soon as it rebooted, it did not see it again.

The N36L on the other hand is "bulletproof" and very stable with the Patriot 16 gb memory.

I also ordered another persons "recommended" memory, >

Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1333 MHz (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory (CMV16GX3M2A1333C9)

I'll test that and let you know how it goes.

All in all, every memory I have tried on this box was one that someone was using elsewhere. Althout I did not notw if it was for a 36 or a 40.

If anyone wants to SWAP their N36L for a N40L no drives, no memory, I'll be happey to make the swap.

Peter

Edited by peter.j.k

cskenney

I just installed 2 8GB sticks of CORSAIR CMX8GX3M1A1333C9 that I got from Newegg ($35.99 each) in my N40L. As soon as I booted it up it showed 16MB of RAM in the box. I will restart it a few time over the next few days to see if there are any issues but so far, so good!

BTW - This is the same memory that SBS Diva confirmed in her N40L here.

Joe_Miner

I just installed 2 8GB sticks of CORSAIR CMX8GX3M1A1333C9 that I got from Newegg ($35.99 each) in my N40L. As soon as I booted it up it showed 16MB of RAM in the box. I will restart it a few time over the next few days to see if there are any issues but so far, so good!

BTW - This is the same memory that SBS Diva confirmed in her N40L here.

Nice! It's a lot of fun those little boxes!

ikon

I'm wondering if any of you N40L users are concerned about possible issues arising from your RAM, that's working OK now, getting older? We all know that the specs of electronics drift as they get older, so I'm wondering because it seems the N40L is running pretty close to the edge of compatibility/tolerances.

jmwills

I got the good stuff. G-Skill and took the fins off....problem solved.