RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Joe_Miner

$124.99 Asus VH232H 23" Monitor w/speakers & HDMI

jmwills

Resist...you need more HDD'S!!!

Joe_Miner

Resist...you need more HDD'S!!!

Yeh, I'm feeling bad that I didn't pick up a couple of the ST3000DM001's when they were on sale last week -- but then I was in PA with Grandson Luke so my attention was elsewhere :)

jmwills

I know that feeling. Jack will be here Tuesday week!

cskenney

Yeh, I'm feeling bad that I didn't pick up a couple of the ST3000DM001's when they were on sale last week -- but then I was in PA with Grandson Luke so my attention was elsewhere :)

I did pick up one of those 3TB drives last week and starting to wish I had bought a few more. If I buy too much at one time it draws too much attention from the finance department.

Joe_Miner

I know that feeling. Jack will be here Tuesday week!

It certainly puts things in a different perspective -- You'll have a lot of fun next week!

I'm still trying to catch up from last week though -- only got to spend maybe 5 min listening to HSS Wed nite and didn't have any time last nite to listen to Jim's show! I'm getting behind on my shows :) On top of that I've been trying to find time to play with 2012E on the N40L with Storage Spaces.....

Joe_Miner

I did pick up one of those 3TB drives last week and starting to wish I had bought a few more. If I buy too much at one time it draws too much attention from the finance department.

Yeh, those ST3000DM001 are so freaking fast and so freaking reliable -- I lov em!

jmwills

Do you find that Storage Spaces is still dog slow? I need to re-provision one of the Microservers and was going to put 2012 on it and use SS as opposed to Drive Bender. Thoughts?

Joe_Miner

Do you find that Storage Spaces is still dog slow? I need to re-provision one of the Microservers and was going to put 2012 on it and use SS as opposed to Drive Bender. Thoughts?

It depends.

Storage Spaces Parity really @(#*$%&!& (a technical term).

Storage Spaces Mirror is comparable to doing a disk mgmt Mirror except you can do it on more than two disks so I kind of think of it as V1 DE with folder duplication turned on for everything. I'm growing to like it. it's speed seems to be as good as the slowest drive in the pool. So, if they are all ST3000DM001's you wouldn't be dissapointed. Right now I have 2012E with a convential Disk Mgmt made Mirror with 2 disks and a Storage Spaces Mirror with 3 disks -- I'm not doing the 3 way mirror -- so the sum of the space on my Storage Spaces is the sum of the 3 disks divided by 2. I'm planning to blow away the Disk Mgmt created Mirror and build a 5 drive Storage Spaces Mirror and see how that performance would compare to my 5 drive drivepool on 2011 (that has all folders on duplication).

jmwills

Well, I don't want a bad parity bit in the mix so I might try the SS mirror.

Thanks