RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Any free way to compact a WHS 2011 partition?

Sorta Oldguy

Just have to remember to move the swap file and the seach index files back to the C: partition.

I'm curious as to why you're using a swap file and/or search index if you're using an SSD.

I'm curious as to why you're using a swap file and/or search index if you're using an SSD.

I may have missed some previous discussions but I'm also curious why we're going to all this trouble to crunch something down that you're moving to a VM in 2012 -- If the VHD is dynamic (I set nearly all my VHD's as dynamic) you can set the VHD size to what ever you want/need/imagine but it will only take up the space on your physical HD that's necessary.

I'm also curious why you're putting your VHD's onto the same drive as your OS -- I try to keep all of that OFF of my OS drive except for my VM caching directory. Everything else (VM's directory, VHD's, Snapshot's directory) I keep seperated from my OS drive and currently been using a ST3000DM001 for that stuff. When I was running WHS-2011 in a VM (First on a N40L then later I moved it to a Z77) I passed thru my DATA drives directly to the WHS-2011 though the WHS -2011 OS drive was running in a VHD on my Host Server (first under 2008R2 then later under the various pre-RTM flavors of S2012).

Please note that I'm not being critical but I am curious.

The WHS is currently running on a hard drive. I'm hoping to virtualize it onto an SSD along with a Win7 and 8 test VM and a VM to record TV. But, in any case, it seems like Windows would still use the search function and might use a swapfile. Does Windows not use those if you have it running on an SSD?

I may have missed some previous discussions but I'm also curious why we're going to all this trouble to crunch something down that you're moving to a VM in 2012 -- If the VHD is dynamic (I set nearly all my VHD's as dynamic) you can set the VHD size to what ever you want/need/imagine but it will only take up the space on your physical HD that's necessary.

I'm also curious why you're putting your VHD's onto the same drive as your OS -- I try to keep all of that OFF of my OS drive except for my VM caching directory. Everything else (VM's directory, VHD's, Snapshot's directory) I keep seperated from my OS drive and currently been using a ST3000DM001 for that stuff. When I was running WHS-2011 in a VM (First on a N40L then later I moved it to a Z77) I passed thru my DATA drives directly to the WHS-2011 though the WHS -2011 OS drive was running in a VHD on my Host Server (first under 2008R2 then later under the various pre-RTM flavors of S2012).

Please note that I'm not being critical but I am curious.

Chalk some up to hoping to avoid reinstalling WHS and some to lack of knowledge.

I assume that if I try to virtualize WHS, the resulting VHD will be the same size as the WHS OS partition. Is that correct? If I was reinstalling, I'd definitely go dynamic. If there's a way to do a new install and transfer all the settings, client machine identities, etc., I'd be willing to give that a try and then I certainly would go dynamic.

On the other points, I've never done anything serious with full Server or Hyper V before. All this is experimental and a learning experience. I might move things around later if I can get them to work, although my needs aren't real heavy duty.

I was planning to later put the swap files on a separate drive so it doesn't wear out the SSD.

BTW, I appreciate all the input I can get. I'm feeling my way along here.

Second BTW, I have what is probably a rookie question. I've got something of a dual boot going. Installed Server 2012 on the SSD, looked at it a bit and then booted back into WHS. It's manual but the ASUS mouse--enabled bios makes it pretty easy.

The first thing I wanted to do after installing Server 2012 was a bare metal backup of the Server 2012 install in case I screw it up. I tried running server backup, but it says you need to install the feature through add roles and features in server manager before you can use it. I went into server manager add roles and features but could not find an explicit option for adding backup. I assume it magically appears if you add the right role, but I haven't been able to find that info anywhere. Anyone know how to do it?

I don't want to add to many roles before I know what they do. For example, I have no experience with Active Directory. Do I have to install it on something as simple as Server with a few VM's where the Server is really just enabling the VM'S?

I would skip the Server and do straight Hyper V, but haven't found a reasonably priced way to access my USB Brother printer/scanner. Those network/usb adapters show lots of complaints in the user ratings of Amazon and Newegg. Am kicking myself for not getting the networked version of the Brother, but I thought "Why do I need that? I have a server to share it."

Edited by Sorta Oldguy

In regard to the shrinking, try the following, worked for me while using ESXi

• Install as usual to a VM with 60 GB size.
  • Go to disk management and shrink the C-Partition
  • Shut down the VM
  • Use VMWare converter to shrink the VM

I hope I havent missed a step, but at least this was how I shrinked my VM down to 40GB

In regard to USB, I have some items attached to the ESXI server, works like a charm (USB TV Tuner, USB Soundcard, Iphone, ...)

ESXI is free, thats why I ddint bother looking into Hyper V again, last tiem I tried it wasnt working well with USB...