RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
jsox

TonidoPlug Experiment

jsox

Got a chance to repeat the Tonido Drive / Upload Tool experiment within the US (specifically between Joplin and St. Louis, Missouri). My wireless connection to the hotel's wireless was consistently 54M.

Results this time were much more favorable to the TP2.

The Upload tool moved 4 photos (~13M) reasonably quickly back to the TP at home. All photos reported successful copies and all photos were indeed present in the remote folder on subsequent examination.

The Tonido Drive tool mapped the TP2 as Windows drive H: without a problem. File Explorer copies from the laptop to the mapped drive, and the reverse path, were reasonably quick and completed without errors.

Copying the same 4 JPG files to Dropbox and SkyDrive also succeded without any particular problems.

One International data point that was very unflattering.

One domestic data point that was perfectly reasonable.

I should have a chance to repeat the experiment from another home wireless in the same city as the TP2 in the next week of so. I will report those results here as well.

Other tests still ahead: using the TP2 as a mobile wireless server supplying files to connected devices (e.g. in a car).

jsox

Repeated a Tonido connectivity experiment within the US (specifically between Colorado Springs, CO and St. Louis, MO) using a good domestic connection.

Results this time were mixed:

The web connection worked once, then failed on a subsequent attempt, repeatedly over a period of several days yielding nothing but a blank web page when I tried to connect. Without the web interface there is no way to manage the TP2 remotely, e.g. to restart it. It appeared to be fine on an internal LAN connection when I returned home. I forced a hardware reset to hopefully clear out whatever it was that was funky.

The Tonido Drive tool mapped successfully. File Explorer copies from the laptop to the mapped drive, and the reverse path, were reasonably quick and completed without errors.

Copying the same files to Dropbox succeded without any particular problems.

3 remote access test results:

International (~4600 miles): Neither the web nor the drive interface was usable

Domestic (~300 miles): Both the web and the drive interface were usable

Domestic (~800 miles): The web interface failed; the drive interface was usable

ikon

It certainly appears that performance/reliability is distance related which, in internet terms, most likely means Lag Time. I suspect the Tonido is timing out. I say the Tonido because your computer seems to able to connect to, and use, other online

jsox

Tonido has released a number of updates. Server and application software for the Tonido Plug, and client software for iOS and, I think, the Windows "mapped drive" software. I will update everything on my systems are report results as they become available...

pcdoc

I could not resist in picking one of these up as they where on sale.  The hardware is nice but I must say it is one of worst interfaces I have used to date.  They have gone over and beyond to make this thing over complicated with a choice of two interfaces, confusing folder structures, and the need to index your content to separate it out into types.  This is one piece of hardware going back.  Good attempt they missed the mark IMO.