RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
jsox

TonidoPlug Experiment

ikon

Hiding the SSID does nothing for Security, nothing.

Yeah. At one time it actually was of some limited benefit, but now all the cracking tools know how to find hidden SSIDs.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

I agree it does very little but it is far from nothing. A lot of people use a password that is associated with a ssid. If I don't know the ssid then it is hard to guess the password. Obviously it takes very little to get the name but unless you are being targeted, I hacker would just move on to a ssid that is already known because it is broadcasting.

ikon

I agree it does very little but it is far from nothing. A lot of people use a password that is associated with a ssid. If I don't know the ssid then it is hard to guess the password. Obviously it takes very little to get the name but unless you are being targeted, I hacker would just move on to a ssid that is already known because it is broadcasting.

It used to be like that but, today, it's so easy to run a little tool to find all the SSIDs (hidden or not) in a given area that it just doesn't make sense for a cracker to not use it.

jsox

Testing DLNA server capability with my TonidoPlug2 and my 4th gen iTouch.

After some research online I loaded 3 different DLNA clients: Fusion Stream, DKPlayerFree, and 8Player Lite.

I turned on (enabled) My Media Server on the TonidoPlug2 and mapped Videos, Photos, and Music folders on the TP2.

Fired up the iTouch (wireless connection, of course).

None of the three test applications could see the TonidoPlug as a DLNA server, although it did see my wife's VAIO and a WD "My Book".

Bummer.

I don't have an PlayStation3, Xbox 360 or TV sets with DLNA to further test with, but the TP2 doesn't seem to want to talk to an iTouch using DLNA.

ikon

You may be victim of a complaint I, and others I've read about, have experienced; DLNA is not consistent from one product to another. So far, my WD Live units have worked pretty well as DLNA devices, but other devices have not.

jsox

Tested VLC V2.0.4 on Win8 Pro laptop as a UPnP player (via View > Playlist >Local Network >Universal Plug’n Play) for the TonidoPlug2. That did not work, although it also found the WD My Book and played video from it. The TP2 screen says "Use this feature to stream media to compatible DLNA/UPnP devices" but I have not yet been abot to find a list of "compatible players" other than "Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3"

ikon

That's too bad. Unless some future firmware corrects it, it looks like you're out of luck. I would definitely give the TP2 people a bad time.

jsox

TonidoPlug2 as Dropbox / SkyDrive Replacement

I was recently in Germany on business and had a chance to test TP2 functionality as a replacement for services such as Dropbox and SkyDrive. I first established that I had a good connection to the hotel’s wireless (48M or 54M every time I checked) and that the Internet felt responsive (it did). My test material consisted of multiple JPG files from my camera, totaling about 15M. I made two sets of tests, on two different days, once in the morning once in the evening. Results were as follows.

Dropbox and SkyDrive behaved the same in all tests. The JPG files were copied immediately to the local cache and all the little “sync” markers turned green within a few minutes indicating that they were also copied to the cloud. I watched taskmgr’s network display and observed that both services copied the files in quick succession.

I tested the TonidoPlug2 function in two different ways. I used the built-in, browser based “upload” tool and the “Tonido Drive” mount-your-TP2-as-a-Windows-drive tool. In all cases the initial connection to my home TP2 (based in the middle of the US on a reliable broadband connection) was prompt and encouraging. Unfortunately, it went downhill from there. The Upload tool was erratic, copying most of a picture (comment based on observing the progress bar), then sitting idle for tens of seconds or more, then either completing or reporting the copy a failure. The “failure” rate was 50% or higher. A subsequent check of the files online seemed to show that the JPGs really had been copied and they appeared okay (I have not done a complete bit by bit file comparison).

The Tonido Drive results were consistently worse. Sometimes I could not establish a connection at all. When I did connect nearly every copy registered a failure and, based on later review, actually did fail. To be fair, I note that these TP2 features and tools, upload and Tonido Drive, work reliably when everything is on a local network.

I concluded that compared to Dropbox and SkyDrive the TP2 did not compare well as personal cloud storage.

ikon

I concluded that compared to Dropbox and SkyDrive the TP2 did compare well as personal cloud storage.

I presume you meant, "did NOT compare well as personal...." ;)

jsox

ikon: Oops, yes. Edited.

Those that would like to try their own experiments can buy a TP2 at a $30 discoutn for a while...

From an email sent to me as an owner:

As a thank you, we have a massive end of the year sale on TonidoPlug at our online store. Please use the coupon code "HOLIDAY" to get $30 discount (supplies are limited).