RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
jsox

TonidoPlug Experiment

jsox

Wireless clients: WIn8 on Dell E6400, iOS on 4th generation iTouch, Win7 on Dell Mini10v

Wired client (except when disconnected): Win7 Pro on home-built i5 desktop

Target testing: wireless hotspot flexibility and functionality

Wireless hotspot has some behavioral issues

+ WPA only uses AES and works fine

+ WPA2 with AES works fine

- WPA2 with TKIP does not work at all (wireless detector in the same room does not detect the signal)

+ WPA2 with AES / TKIP works fine

- WPA2 passwords less than 8 characters can be set in the TonidoPlug software but won't work with iOS devices

- There is no way to hide the SSID and make it non-broascasting

+ DHCP works fine

+/- servers on the host network (not the TonidoPlug hotspot network) are not pingable by name but are by IP address, drives can be mapped and accessed, etc. but only if you know the IP address. Perhaps this would be different if I had a "home share" network or something?

- when disconnected from a wired network the TP2 ceases to respond to wireless content requests from the iOS client. To be fair, the documentation does say "Pl note: Tonidoplug should be connected 'wired' for HotSpot to work." <http://www.tonido.co...etwork Settings>

+ when disconnected from a wired network it still responds to pings from a Win8 laptop and plays music and video from a drive letter previously mapped to the TP2 .

+ streams two different videos (M4V) to two different Windows devices wirelessly without apparent stutter

jcollison

Hey Jim. You should consider writing this up in a blog post so we can post it to the front page of hss.com. Just like John Stutsman does. Would be good to share with the world. I can help if you like.

jsox

I'd be happy to document my personal experiences. Is there a specific template to follow, guidelines of do / do not, or just read some others and then submit it ... To who? How?

Remote wireless testing today while Christmas shopping was not encouraging. Using My 4th gen iTouch and trying to connect in at 4 different public wireless locations I never got more than a useless connection (e.g. I could navigate the folder tree, but could never play music or video).

ikon

That's the internet for you. :P

jsox

Wireless update:

The Tonido cannot connect wirelessly to a hidden SSID. After I had trouble I researched it a bit and found this noted in their forums over 2 years ago. As may people (like me) have their home SSID hidden this would appear to be a drawback. I tested it and it is true, the exact same wireless network except with SSID broadcast mode enabled connects just fine. But when I switch the router to non-broadcast the Tonido promptly drops the connection.

ikon

That behaviour is a bit odd, or out of the norm. In my experience, once a system has been connected successfully to a wireless router, it will remember the info and no longer worries about the SSID being visible.

jsox

I've never done an experiment like this before so personally I didn't know if it was odd or not.

My initial efforts to get my TP2 connected purely wirelessly to my home network (non-broadcast SSID) failed and I went to their forums to see if I was doing something wrong. The behavior was exactly as described by an entry way back in 2010. The TonidoPlug would not connect to a non-broadcasting SSID, even when programmed with the SSID name, etc. If the SSID broadcast is turned on it connects just fine but then it drops when the SSID was hidden again. I had never seen a wireless client that could not deal with a hidden SSID before... that certainly was odd to me.

jcollison

Jim, Tonido seems like they might be responsive group. Did you put in a support ticket or something like that?

ikon

I had never seen a wireless client that could not deal with a hidden SSID before... that certainly was odd to me.

Yep. That's exactly what I was getting at when I said 'odd'.

jmwills

Hiding the SSID does nothing for Security, nothing.