RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
jsox

TonidoPlug Experiment

cskenney

On the podcast last night Jim mentioned you can format the storage on the device. It would probably format it as EXT3 (or whatever the Linux format is).

The other possibility to try is to plug the USB stick into your PC, store the video file and then put the stick back into the TonidoPlug. Then you could try the streaming to the PS3.

axoid

Thanks, solved that problem. Now I have to pull the PS3s out of the boxes.

I just love moving. :-)

cskenney

What turned out to be the problem????

axoid

I don't "know" what the exact issue was, but reformatting the memory stick to EX3 cured it.

• Like 1

jsox

My purchased Tonido plug has arrived. I have several days off because of Thanksgiving later this week so I hope to have time to start putting this through its paces. I will format the 160G drive as EXT3 for sure.

ikon

I will format the 160G drive as EXT3 for sure.

Good choice :D

awraynor

Tonido has released an iPhone/iPad app with good functionality. This includes music playback and streaming of movies in many popular formats.

http://www.tonido.com/ios/

cskenney

Is the streaming to the iPhone/iPad only over the local network? This is one step closer to Dave's use case in the car with his video server idea!

awraynor

I haven't installed the iOS app, but the product page says from ANYWHERE.

jsox

160G spinning drive installed. Removed all partitions and formatted as EXT3 via admin console in the TP2. Seemed to happen reasonably quickly.

The navigation in the TP2 interface is difficult for me to use, I'm not sure why. The "help" is not very good.

Eventually I figured out how to add guest accounts, how to add folders and share them, all that sort of thing.

LastPass doesn't recognize the login screen without prompting, not sure why not. It does succeed with a directed fill.

I copied 60G or 70G of pictures (JPG), music (MP3), and video files (M4V) to into several folders. Local network, but it seemed reasonably fast.

The iOS app installed cleanly on my iTouch and so far has played all the content I put on the TP2 (local network testing only so far).