RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
jsox

TonidoPlug Experiment

jsox

Just ordered a TonidoPlug2. The $10 off discount code worked for me. Basically it gets you free shipping.

My thinking is this: I have a 160G 2.5" drive doing nothing at the moment because I replaced it with a 120G SSD. I'm still having trouble deciding whether a smart NAS or WHS 2011 / 2012e will be the proper path forward for my situation. So for $120 (would have been better if I had won one at the Meet-up but oh well) I am going to play with the TP2 as a sort-of smartNAS, and use Win7's built-in backup tools and see how I like it. My WHS V1 is still in place, of course. I'll also put some files (photos, videos, music) on it and see how I like the built-in sharing tools. Maybe I'll load up the iOS add-in on my iTouch or iPad and see how that works.

Nothing else, it looks like a neat gizmo to own. But I'm hoping it will be a relatively inexpensive way for me to figure out which direction to go.

Edited by jsox

jcollison

When you do get it, shoot me a note. Would love to chat with you about your experience and talk with you about the advanced features. Maybe even drag Tony in on the discussion.

cskenney

Did the other unit make it to Axoid? I am curious about his experience.

jcollison

I still have the unit from the meet up. Dave was going to see if Tonido would send Axoid another one.

cskenney

Well I am willing to write about my experience if someone sends me one! ;)

awraynor

So far it appears to try to do too much and concentrate on doing what you do better.

Nonetheless, it does a lot.

axoid

I did get mine from the meet-up. I haven't gotten to do a lot with it yet. I have set it up with a USB mem stick and I have the hot spot function working. I still dealing with the move to the new house so I don't have a lot of free time.

I did hook it up to a kill-a-watt; with it booted up and no drive or USB plugged in it pulled 2.5 watts, with the USB stick it pulled ~4 watts. I'm not sure where my extra 2.5 drives are right now (in a box somewhere) so I haven't tried a hard drive yet.

A couple of apps I would like it to have in the future are a firewall and DNS server. So that I could take it with me on trips and I could plug it into the hotel network and have it act as a wireless router to protect my devices from anything else on the hotel network.

Bill

axoid

I fired the Tonido Plug up again, still using a 32gb memory stick. I've been having a problem the last couple days trying to copy mp4 files to the device. I have the Tonido hooked the my home network using the wired connection. I can see and access the usb stick from other machines on the network, but when I try to copy 900mb mp4 files over the network to the Tonido, the copy fails. I was able to copy a 400mb mp4 to the Tonido, but it took a long time.

I was going to test media streaming to a PS3, but if I can't get gigabyte size files on the device, it's not going to be any good for streaming movies.

cskenney

What format is your USB stick? NTFS?

axoid

I'm pretty sure it is Fat32. I know it isn't NTFS since that is incompatible with PS3s.