RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Ok neewb here with Lights out trouble pleae help

fmydog

ok so i have been using the community edition of whs 2011 lights out and i fell in love with the little tab that shows me my money saved. I have it monitering network load 15%> and cpu load 10%> so basicaly if i have anything going on i am covered but i am soooooo stummped on getting the calender up and running. I have schedueld backups and file syncs that go at midnight everyday in this order, Server C: drive backup (+bare metal) to my online raid 5 and then at 12:30 once that is done i have a sync setup to an offline raid 1 of all my important stuff. Basicaly i want to use lights out calender to turn my server on at midnight and go back to sleep at 1:00am , i tried my best to set it up without bothering you guys but i can not get it to work, it literaly does nothing!!!!! WOL works great though! thanks in advance i know i sound like a crabby schoolgirl but if it helps you help me know that i just did two tours in afghanistan with the usmc to help keep things like this in the land of the free! again thanks for your time.

Semper Fi to you as well! And happy birthday. Thanks for the reply and the information it helped me gain insight on how I would go about solving my problem. I am going to experiment with always on during configured back up times. If I set that is there a way to get it to wake up without any client computers? I just want a backup of the server.

Didn't expect to find many devil dogs on the forums. Its kinda nice!

No please don't leave us alone, at least not until I get my server working....

No this environment is not virtual, all physical. I am exploring a lot of options including using my phone to send a wol packet automatically haha. I wish I could find a way to have my server just do it.

Cool. Just didn't want to interfere with a USMC bromance :D

You should be able to wake up your server as easily as creating a Scheduled Task to run at a specific time.

So under server management or are you talking about something else? If I schedule a task and the server is suspended it will wake up?

It could be a scheduled task that lites off the .exe for LightsOut

That should work.

So under server management or are you talking about something else? If I schedule a task and the server is suspended it will wake up?

Not under Server Management. From the Start Menu, go to Administrative Tools, then Task Scheduler.