RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Backup Times

joem

I can't seem to ascertain if there is a log or interface that indicates how long my backups are taking. WHS v1 will provide that information. Is there some place I can determine this information? Thanks.

My main purpose for running this server is for backups and that information would be golden.

If you go, on the server, to Event Viewer/Applications and Services Logs/Windows Server you will find the Start and Stop entries for every client that gets backed up. From those you can calculate the length of time for each backup.

Thanks. You can find it in the same place on the client also. The specific path is in Computer Management got to Event Viewer>Applications and Services Logs>Applications>Windows>Windows Server>Admin and it will be event id 258 through 261 and 512 to 516 on the client.

It's a shame one has to drill down that far to see such important basic information.

Event ID's 512 and 513 are the ones you want.

This is a start to get you all of the 512 events in Powershell

Get-EventLog -list | Where-Object {$_.logdisplayname -eq "windows server"}

I have to admit I'm a real noob when it comes to PowerShell. I can see it being useful in batch files to create summaries of backups, which is what I already do with my RoboCopy routines.

It's vbs on STEROIDS! And I am a noob too, but catching on quickly to save time on redundant tasks. It's tab aware just like the command prompt but when run with PowerGui, you can test and isolate certain parts of the script.