RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
hivepartnership

N40L Using PCI Card with Crucial m4 128GB mSATA SSD

a15457

I was just reading this and wondering if it was a card that required a UEFI bios to work ... which the N40L does NOT have. Where'd that manual go?

WOW just had a look at the "Manual". Soooo much detail! lols no mention of UEFI though.

cskenney

Bringing this topic back to the top to see if there have been any updates by the topic originator.

Nnyan

I was also looking into something like this (see below) and found this (which was reported to work on AVForums). The only thing that wasn't clear was if you were required to have both an mSATA and SATA drive connected at once or just the mSATA. I've sent an inquiry to their support so hopefully they clear that up.

http://www.addonics.com/products/ad2sahmsa.php

MarkJohnson

It sounds like you have an irq conflict. You should have a menu in the BIOS and maybe have it rescan. I forget the options, but it sounds like a conflict. Maybe the card has a jumper you can select?

If you have any other cards installed try removing them. Ot disabling any devices in BIOS you're not using. (serial/parallel ports) and reboot and try again

I have my N40L at my brother-in-laws for off stite backups so I can't check mine.

Luck

-=Mark=-

hivepartnership

Actually with those cards you have to have both mSATA and a norm Sata connected at the same time. I tried to be celever and get it to work with just an mSATA on it's own and spoke with the manufacturer and they said that it definitely won't work.

I did find a different supplier of cards http://eshop.macsale.../OWC/PCIEACCELM that you can just put an mSATA on its own and I have been running 2 N40L's with this config and Windows Server 2012 for about 3 months now and it all works perfectly. I'm actually really amazed at the speed of the system now.

The delivery from USA was within 2 days form these guys which was amazing but one thing to note if you buy those cards from USA is you get hit by Fed EX for the import duty of about £22 for 2 cards and also they don't come with a low profile bracket so you'd need to either cut the std one down or get a low profile bracket that would fit.

The 2 machines I'm running are using the Crucial mSATA 256GB SSD's on them with 4 x 4TB SATA HDD's and Blu-Ray Drives with a low profile HDMI card into my surround amp and not had a single problem. (Touch wood ha ha).

If you want any more specifics just yell and I'll do my best to assist.

Hope this helps.

Edited by hivepartnership

Nnyan

From Addonics:

The drives can be operated individually, therefore, you will only need 1 drive for it to work.

Thanks

archy121

hivepartnership with your mSATA card plugged & SATA drive attached, did you get the option in the N40L BIOS to set the mSATA drive as the boot device ?

I'm looking to buy the Transcend TS-PDC3 SATA3/USB3 combo card so i can boot from my SATA3 drive at better speeds than SATA2 rates. USB3 support will be a bonus.

I wouldn't mind getting the same card as yours but i'm not keen on the extra delivery/TAX etc to UK.