RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

N40L Using PCI Card with Crucial m4 128GB mSATA SSD

hivepartnership

Hi All,

Just seeing if I can get some advice. So I purchased an N40L server, upgraded the Bios so I now have access to the advanced options and have set all of the right IDE/SATA settings etc so that the eSATA and DVD Sata connector can now be used at full speed etc etc.

I put 8GB RAM in the machine along with a low profile HDMI card for Media Centre output.

I had the idea of rather than popping a SSD drive in the machine and trying to affix it somehow above the hard drive bays or lose the DVD drive bay be placing it in there, I could use an SY-PEX40053 PCI express card (http://www.sybausa.com/productInfo.php?iid=1242) and then attach a Crucial m4 128GB mSATA SSD (CT128M4SSD3 - http://www.crucial.com/store/partspecs.aspx?imodule=CT128M4SSD3) to it for the operating system.

This would then leave the eSata free as well as the internal Sata for the DVD drive so the unit doesn't have to be physically modded in any way that might invalidate the warranty (aside from the BIOS of course).

So I bought 4 x Hitachi 4TB drives (http://www.ebuyer.com/393234-hitachi-4tb-7k4000-desktar-hard-drive-hds724040ale640) to make full use of the bays (2 x mirrored sets) and the above PCI card and mSATA SSD. I placed the PCI card in the machine and the mSATA drive onto it then installed Windows 2012 Essentials (just for testing on one of the 4TB HDD as the SSD didn't show up in the BIOS). When in Windows the PCI card doesn’t show up in device manager (and because of this the mSATA doesn’t).

Does anyone have any help as to what I could look at or tweak to try and get the Bios to recognise the SSD on the PCI express? The low profile HDMI card shows up and is useable but for the life of me I can’t figure out the PCI card :o( I’ve taken a load of photos in the hope that some nice person might be able to point me in the right direction :o)

Thanks loads

G

Bios Screen  With Card and SSD.JPG

Bios Screen Without Card and SSD.JPG

Card With SSD.JPG

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• diehard

• jmwills

• ikon

• hivepartnership

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would think that card would need to have a driver loaded during the installation process. With no driver loaded, I would expect that the Windows installer just would not be aware of the card.

Hi Ikon, thanks for the reply.

Yep that's exactly what I was thinking and the card came with a driver CD but for the life of me I couldn't seem to figure out how to do it at BIOS level rather than OS level. I did use the latest Windows drivers from the manufacturers web site and install them in Windows but it didn't show up in device manager. Normally even without the drivers in device manager you'd see the device with an exclamation mark on it if it needed drivers which it doesn't show before or after putting the Windos OS drivers on the box :(

The reason I need to do that at BIOS level is because I need to install the OS onto the SSD which is attached to the card so it's a kind of catch 22 situation :)

Do you have any pointers as to where I could load them at that level?

Thanks loads

G

Edited by hivepartnership

Hmmm, nothing shows up in Windows Device Manager at all? That's odd. I agree it should show something. It makes me wonder if the card is not being picked up by the system at all. Are you 100% certain it's seated properly? Do you see some sort of message from the card during POST?

No nothing at all so it led me to believe that it was an issue at a level below the OS. Normally I would expect to see a prompt in Post (like you do with Raid cards in the HP Proliant DL range upwards etc) to at least give an option to see the config etc but there isn't. I assumed from this it was just a very simple PnP card. I looked at the instructions on the web site and it just says insert into the MB slot and then load the drivers etc in the OS.

I've seated and reseated the card a handful of times and got the old eyes down right in the box with a torch to make sure it hadn't come out even a little bit but it's firmly seated. I even put screws into the low profile bracket to make sure it was secured down and wasn't popping out when the mb was slid back in the box.

I came to the conclusion that it must be a specific setting in the BIOS I may need to tweak to get it to recognise the card or alternatively need to load drivers at BIOS level but not sure on how to do either so jumped on here in the hope someone might have an idea or have experienced the same type of issue.

Oh yes one last thing I bought 2 cards as I was shipping them from the USA to the UK and so tried both of them in case one was a dud but it was the same with both :rolleyes:

I would download Driver Pack Solutions CD. Then it could scan your server. I have done this with my Microserver and it found a few hardware updates.

Google for the software, run in expert mode so it doesn't add the bloatwear.

I would download Driver Pack Solutions CD. Then it could scan your server. I have done this with my Microserver and it found a few hardware updates.

Google for the software, run in expert mode spit doesn't add the bloatwear.

Hi Diehard,

I did think about somethjing like that but by the process of elimination I assume it is under the OS level and that would only assist with OS drivers and I need to wipe the existing OS to install it on the right drive which is the SSD that won't load so it's a bit of a vicious circle ;)

There are "no" exclamation marks in Device manager?

Nope there's no device listed at all in any state. I tried doing the search for new devices just in case but no joy. :(