RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Slow File Transfers Between Client and Server

joem

I was experiencing slow file transfers between my newly installed Windows Server 2012 Essentials and my client computers. I read the following article and was wondering if it is advisable. I executed the instructions indicated at:

http://mctexpert.blo...mb-signing.html

and sure enough my files transfers are noticeably faster. I found the instructions to the above link from the following post (SBS Diva.)

https://msmvps.com/b...essentials.aspx

I don't know if disabling the service has any hidden repercussions but would like your opinions. Thanks.

On the outside world, you would be subject to "Man in the Middle" attacks. But sense this is on your internal LAN, you should be okay. It is imperative to lock down any wireless connections.

Joem, you didn't say what OS your client computers are running.

jmwills, with Win7 clients, should it be necessary to make these SMB alterations?

I am running a Windows 8 pro client. I just got this server up and running and am trying one thing at a time to learn it. My first step was to add an additional drive to the HP Microserver for backing up an image of the new install of 2012 essentials and then joined the Windows 8 cient to the server without using domain logons. I don't need domain interaction in my household. I used the commonly known registry hack on the Windows 8 pro machine before joining it to the server. But the main thing is my file transfers are faster now with that group policy change for smb. I don't know if it effects Windows 7 yet.

My concern is whether the hack is needed for more recent clients like Win7 and Win8. Actually, I assumed Win8 would not need it, but your experience says otherwise. Now I wonder if having the client as a member of the domain would make a difference. I wouldn't think it would, but who knows.

I haven't set any up yet, but I do plan to have my clients join the domain. Domain membership is just so useful, I can't see any reason not to.

Joem, you didn't say what OS your client computers are running.

jmwills, with Win7 clients, should it be necessary to make these SMB alterations?

I would say yes since the kernel is essentially the same. I think all of the posts I read were with 7 clients.

The problem has less to do with the client, and much more to do with the server. The Signing thing causes issues on domain controllers, which is why dedicated file servers are not really supposed to be domain controllers too.

But the SBServer is meant to fit a bunch of roles, including file server. Namely because its a much cheaper solution that doesn't require the 4-5 servers that would normally be recommended. The SBS guys and gals have been dealing with this "signing" issues since at least SBS 2003. And you know how microsoft doesn't like making concessions to small businesses or consumers..........

As for "issues' doing this... like said above, it makes it possible for "man in the middle" attacks. But for a home, or even a (very) small business, the hole this creates should be minimal. As long as your wifi isn't open, then your network would have to be breached to cause an issue, either physically or by a virus. And if that's the case... you'll have other issues, now won't you. :)

So, if I read you correctly, the ideal would be to set up WS2012 as a HyperV server, and then have 2 VMs: one for WSE2012 and another for a file server. Does that sound fair?

for a larger corporation, yes. But the point of SBS is to avoid that cost. And despite what Microsoft wants to admit, Server 2012 Essentials *is* SBS 8. ANd it's meant to be a file server too.

And again, since anyone trying to comprimise your network would be doing so physically, most likely, it's not really a "cyber security" issue.