RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WMC in Hyper-V VM?...no tuners :( Please help.

nlitend1

I am trying to setup a windows 7 pc in a hyper-v VM (2012 Server Std) to record TV via my hdhomerun prime.

I have successfully setup the tuners in Windows7 and am able to play TV through the "quick-tv" program that comes with the Silicondust HDhomerun setup program.

When i launch media center; however, the tuner cannot be found. "TUNER NOT FOUND" "The TV signal cannot be configured because a TV tuner cannot be detected."

I have tried disabling the firewalls on the VM client and the hyper-v host. I can ping the tuner and browse to the hdhomerun device webpage from the VM.

I am using the only NIC that is in the host box as an 'external NIC' (virtual switch). I have even tried adding an 'internal nic' thinking that maybe the host and VM were not communicating with regards to WMC for some reason.

I am completely puzzled on this one... any else running WMC in a hyper-v VM and have any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Guest no-control

Did you install the HDHR software? These are network tuners right? I've successfully had my tuners recording to a VM for over 6 months. Maybe its a prime issue? Check HDHR forums or support? Have tried dumping the VM and attaching the vhd to a new VM? How about vice versa, install a new VHD to the VM.

Did you install the HDHR software? These are network tuners right? I've successfully had my tuners recording to a VM for over 6 months. Maybe its a prime issue? Check HDHR forums or support? Have tried dumping the VM and attaching the vhd to a new VM? How about vice versa, install a new VHD to the VM.

Yes i have installed the HDHR software for these network tuners. I have checked the HDHR forums with no luck. I have tried running the following command as elevated cmd: c:\windows\ehome\ehprivjob.exe /OCURDiscovery and no tuners show up.

I have tried this in multiple VM's. The only thing i can think of is that these HDhomerun tuners need udp packets for network discovery. Maybe that's not enabled? not sure how to test that. I'm glad to hear there is some tuners working inside hyper-V VM's... I hope someone has use this with the hdhomerun prime tho.....would like to know that it is possible....

Thanks again!

Thanks for bringing this up. I'm hoping to do what you are doing with Server 2012 and Hyper v. Have had a Win7 VM running under VMware Player in WHS for a good while using WMC to record TV. But, it won't play anything, apparently because of limitations on the video. I think under HyperV it could be a lot faster and maybe viewable via RDP.

Thanks for bringing this up. I'm hoping to do what you are doing with Server 2012 and Hyper v. Have had a Win7 VM running under VMware Player in WHS for a good while using WMC to record TV. But, it won't play anything, apparently because of limitations on the video. I think under HyperV it could be a lot faster and maybe viewable via RDP.

No problem. Glad to hear others are thinking along those lines of virtualizing in the home. As far as playing video in the vm, I am unable to do it because my CPU does not support remote fx. I THINK you can do it with remote fx, but someone would have to verify that. Recording works fine though.

I have no idea if mine will support remote fx. I installed Server 2012 in something of a dual boot configuration to start learning it, but I can't even get the Server Manager on my Win8 laptop to hook up to it. Gave me WinRM errors :( And all the forum discussions on the subject assume you are a command line wiz. Is there an easy fix for that?

If I get past that, I have to make sure I have everything off the Intel Software RAID and create some new storage configuration.

If you're going to run WMC in a VM I think the way to go is to use Xbox extenders as your frontends. Doing an RDP session via RemoteFX would probably work, but at a considerable expense. If memory serves you'd need a pretty expensive video card as well as an expensive RDP license. The MissingRemote website has had some blog posts regarding running WMC in a VM, here's one that I bookmarked a while back: http://www.missingremote.com/guide/override-digital-cable-advisor-windows-media-center-7

For the record I did do a brief POC running WMC on Hyper-V and then using an xbox360 extender in my living room TV. It worked reasonably well but I ultimately ended up building a dedicated HTPC due to the ability to put a blu-ray drive in it.