RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Newbie questions

tekguru

Right guys a few tips please here. I'm familiar with operating a Server 2003 based domain at work, but Essentials is a little different, so a few queries if I may.

Now I've got the Server up and running with drives installed as follows:

0 - 1.82Tb MBR (F:)

1 - 1.82Tb GPT (D:)

2 - 292Gb - MBR (C:)

3 - 466Gb GPT (Hidden)

The ideas was to use drives 0 and 1 for a Storage Pool to give me enough space for backups up my PC and the wife's laptop, and to use drive 3 for server backup.

The install did create a hidden partition on drive 0 though so I'm going to have to unplug the drives (once I've identified which is which) and reinstall with a single drive in there.

So a few questions.

• What the heck is a GPT drive, never come across that one before
  • When the current install was created it gave the server an IP address of 127.0.0.1 (loopback), now I did change that to 192.168.0.100 as external remote desktop access is forwarded onto that IP by my router. Is this going to cause any problems?
  • I'm planning to use the server 90% for backup of the machines only, with no media etc stored on it.
  • As my Wifes Win 7 laptop is deeply configured, as is my WIn 8 PC, is it work using the command line trick to prevent the machines joining the domain when linked to the machine?
  • The server is likely to be turned on nightly to perform backups, so report printing on a Friday night, and be left on overnight on a Saturday to perform and routine maint.
  • Also on the current install half the dives were showing as present, but not usable when the server was first built and I had to reformat them (GPT) to get them visible. I'm hoping this will not be a problem when once I've reinstalled the server and re-plugged in the drives.
  • Storage Pools; As I'm using the machine primarily for backup is it a good strategy to create the pool I'm considering as a basic pool and then move the backup folders to that storage. Also looking to possibly create a smaller pool for some media sharing. I assume I can create two pools (or more) on the two drives?

Any tips, help appreciated.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Drashna Jaelre

• jmwills

• ikon

• tekguru

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well all sorted and up and running now!

The only remaining query is:

When the current install was created it gave the server an IP address of 127.0.0.1 (loopback),I did change that to 192.168.0.100 as external remote desktop access is forwarded onto that IP by my router. Is this going to cause any problems?

I set that as the IP (192.168.0.100), but actually on the new build set the DNS to googles DNS servers.

I guess that was probably an error as I'm seeing a fair few DNS errors in the logs? Thinking on it I guess I should set the DNS to the IP of my router?

Edited by tekguru

By default it is set to 127.0.0.1 as the primary, but a secondary one set to Google shouldn't hurt. I would also flush the DNS cache.

Server manager, seems to give an error if I don't choose 127.0.0.1 as the second DNS. my primary is to my Essentials