RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Processor and Memory impact on real world use?

jsox

Synology has different levels of power in the j, regular, and + versions, for different levels of price. I've done some reading it seems that the j is good enough for home shared storage, only a couple of streams simultaneously, that sort of thing. But perhaps not depending on what applications are running. So, what happens when a "j" box gets stressed (my impression is that you can load all the same apps on all the different power levels)? Do things not work at all? Do music or video streams start to stutter?

Would appreciate hearing some real world experience. Thanks.

Just found this on http://pcloadletter.co.uk/2012/01/30/crashplan-syno-package/

If you’re considering buying a NAS purely to use CrashPlan and intend to back up more than a few hundred GB then I strongly advise buying one of the Intel models which come with 1GB RAM and can be upgraded to 3GB very cheaply. RAM is very limited on the ARM ones. 128MB RAM on the J series means CrashPlan is running with only one fifth of the recommended heap size, so I doubt it’s viable for backing up very much at all. My DS111 has 256MB of RAM and currently backs up around 60GB with no issues. I have found that a 512MB heap was insufficient to back up more than 2TB of files on a Windows server. It kept restarting the backup engine every few minutes until I increased the heap to 1024MB.

So, since I would plan to run CrashPlan on a Synology if I implement one to replace a WHS and it will be backing up ~1TB... this seems to imply I need a version with an Intel processor with 1G of RAM. If someone has experience to contradict the above I'd like to hear it.

Interesting. You've pointed out a few things about the newer Synology boxes that I wasn't aware of:

1. I had no idea CrashPlan can run on a Synology;
  2. I also wasn't aware that you can upgrade the RAM;
  3. I didn't know there are ARM and Intel models.

I have a CS407e sitting on a shelf in my basement. I was impressed with the software for it but found the hardware lacking and was frustrated with the lack of upgradability: e.g. no way the RAM can be upgraded. The CPU is just too slow, and the amount of RAM too low, to run all the services the software offers.

I just checked my WHS V1 server and CrashPlan is only using "79,820 K" of memory according to Windows Task Manager. Nowhere near the ~512M implied in the quoted comment above. Now I wonder if the writer perhaps interchanged M and K. After all, a 1024 MB heap, 1G, seems pretty darn large. My CrashPlan is reliably managing backup for a base of ~870G and consuming no more than 80MB of memory. It backs up both to an internal drive on the V1 and to the CrashPlan servers via the Internet.

The biggest listed service on my V1 box is "searchindexer.exe" at 210,816 K. That exe is, according to Google, the Windows desktop search, which I don't use on the server. So I could turn that off / uninstall it I suppose but the server has 2G of RAM and isn't hurting for more that I can see (1240188 K memory is still "available").

If I am interpreting that correctly I conclude that memory on a Synology is not likely to be a big deal if you have at least 256 MB. If someone with a Sysology running CrashPlan can figure out how to determine how much memory it is using I'd love to see hard data.

I have a CS407e sitting on a shelf in my basement. I was impressed with the software for it but found the hardware lacking and was frustrated with the lack of upgradability: e.g. no way the RAM can be upgraded. The CPU is just too slow, and the amount of RAM too low, to run all the services the software offers.

So what happened when you tried? Additional features refuse to launch? Or everything works but just too slowly for your taste or perhaps too slow for usability? Did that stress affect or break more fundamental services like file sharing?

Edited by jsox

It would just bog down so it was unusable. My only recourse was to disable some services, which reduced its functionality. BTW, it only has 128MB or RAM, non-upgradable.

Keep in mind you can set how much memory crashplan is allowed to use so you could be restricting it.

Note: On second thought, it may not be memory you can set so you should double check.