RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HDD or SDD Video Camera's with HD

ImTheTypeOfGuy

So I just bought a Canon Vixia HF S11 with 64 GB of flash memory. Before I had a DV tape camera. One think I don't like, or at least am not used to at this point, is that every time I start and stop a recording I get a new file. This is great for deleting video, kind of like pictures, but becomes a nightmare when trying to make home movies. So I have a few questions for you.

How do you manage all your files? Do you store them by month in separate folders, just one folder for all, etc? I ask this, because on the DV tapes it would be one file for an hour of video. With the new camera I had about 120 files for the equivalent one hour. As you can see, if I don't come up with a solid storage scheme a folder can get out of hand fast.

What software do you use to create your home movies? I use studio 14 and it has issues.

Any other words of wisdom for someone new into HD filming with a HDD or SDD.

I'd be interested to hear this as well. In the "Videos" share I have a "camcorder" folder where I move the videos from the camcorder or my wife's P&S digicam. My folder structure is %year%\%yyyy_mm_dd%. There's not a good manager for the videos that I've found. There are more options for photo's.

So I'm very open to hearing other people's methods. Thanks for posting the topic!

I have a panasonic HD and I do it the hard way. I import directly into folders I create so I can name them the way I want. Dates are OK too, but I tend to offload the videos right away so named folders work better for me. Once they are in folders, I use Roxio 2010 bloatware (I mean creator) and can burn to DVD or BD disks. Despite having to remove a bunch of start up junk that is automatically installed, it works pretty well and the output files are pretty good. I shoot everything in 1080 and scale down as required depending what my output is like.

Guest no-control

I have a dump folder in my Home movies folder that I dump video from my HD camcorder. From there I just use Premier, vegas, movie maker, etc... to edit the files into a single home movie. Some cmaeras will allow you to combine files into a single file in the download. Not sure if yours does.

I have the HF10 and have had pretty good results with it. I let the included Pixela software import it into folders which are by date. I have used Cyberlink's Power Director to create movies or simply convert to other formats with pretty good results. I am not an advanced videographer by any means and actually prefer photos over video most of the time, but the software works well for me.

And today over at Bitsdujour they have Movavi Video Suite on sale for $24. It includes a lot of functionality for cheap to include joining clips.

Homerservershow,

What about you? I have heard you talk about your HD camera on the podcasts. Let us know what the expert does.

Also, you owe me a PM.

Next year I will probably switch to Adobe Premeire. I know it is an expensive professional version but I have seen it on eBay numerous times for $250. If it eliminates software issues it will be worth every penny.

The last time I looked at it there were too many features missing that I wanted. The only one that currently comes to mind is the ability to use with green screens for overlays. In comparison to Studio, which is write on the edge of not feature rich enough, elements had even fewer features.

But you do bring up the point that I will have to do another thorough review as it has been a couple years since I looked at all the options.

• 2 months later...

Old thread I know, but just thought I'd put in my two cents since I've been shooting quite a bit of video over the last couple of months. I have a Canon HF20 which shoots great quality 1080i video, though depending on the scene I often use it in 720p mode. Although the video quality is great, it clips long videos at the 11 minute mark. In other words, if I shoot 30 minutes of continuous video, I end up with three files; the first two of 11 minutes in length and the final one of 8 minutes. However, I am very meticulous about dumping my video files after each recording session since I am usually recording for a purpose. I manually create folders using a date/name combination. So if I shoot an unboxing for the HTC Desire for example, I create a folder titled '2010.04.05.HTC.Desire.Unboxing'. Of course I combine and edit the file and dump my final clip in the same folder, but I like to keep the raw files as well.

I also have a Sony HX5V point & shoot which also records great 1080i video. I use this mainly when I go to concerts where I need something pocketable. The Sony does not clip based on time, but at a concert I do a lot of start/stop recording which also leaves me with several clips. I use the same method as I mentioned above which keeps my videos well organized and easy to navigate through.

As far as software goes, I use Adobe Premiere CS4 (soon to be CS5) and even mess with the audio a bit in Soundbooth. It's not as straight forward as some of the other programs out there, but the options make taking the time to learn it worthwhile. Once you have the basics down it's pretty easy to work with your files, especially if all you're looking to do is combine your clips.

Old thread I know, but just thought I'd put in my two cents since I've been shooting quite a bit of video over the last couple of months. I have a Canon HF20 which shoots great quality 1080i video, though depending on the scene I often use it in 720p mode. Although the video quality is great, it clips long videos at the 11 minute mark. In other words, if I shoot 30 minutes of continuous video, I end up with three files; the first two of 11 minutes in length and the final one of 8 minutes. However, I am very meticulous about dumping my video files after each recording session since I am usually recording for a purpose. I manually create folders using a date/name combination. So if I shoot an unboxing for the HTC Desire for example, I create a folder titled '2010.04.05.HTC.Desire.Unboxing'. Of course I combine and edit the file and dump my final clip in the same folder, but I like to keep the raw files as well.

I also have a Sony HX5V point & shoot which also records great 1080i video. I use this mainly when I go to concerts where I need something pocketable. The Sony does not clip based on time, but at a concert I do a lot of start/stop recording which also leaves me with several clips. I use the same method as I mentioned above which keeps my videos well organized and easy to navigate through.

As far as software goes, I use Adobe Premiere CS4 (soon to be CS5) and even mess with the audio a bit in Soundbooth. It's not as straight forward as some of the other programs out there, but the options make taking the time to learn it worthwhile. Once you have the basics down it's pretty easy to work with your files, especially if all you're looking to do is combine your clips.

I ended up using the same format for storing the file. Only exception is for items that occur over multiple days. For instance, a week long vacation. Insead of using the data in the folder name, I justed named the folder Breckenridge vacation. Then within that, I have a folder for each day that I recorded content.

Our camera's are very similar. I have the Cannon HFS11. I have never recorded for 11+ minutes so I don't know if it will clipthe file. I am going to test it right now.

I looked at CS4 but it is pricey. Maybe I can buy it from you once you upgrade. :)