RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS Replacement Article - What Do You Think?

awraynor

Yup, a lot of UEFI systems can still boot MBR... But just remember, Windows 8 "certified" computers are UEFI *and* GPT, IIRC.

• 2 weeks later...

To Paraphrase Jim Colison at the October Meetup -- Worrying about bare metal restore ( for most of us) is old school thinking.

Its really a convienience , not a must for anything other than a 1st tier backup. This is cover a local HD failure and not having to reinstall and update Windows

I am planning on transitioning away from WHS2011 due to the lack of support for UEFI bios.

What seems to be working my testing as a bare metal restore techinique is backing up to a USB drive attached to my Router.

I am testing an old copy of Trueimage 10 , as well as the Windows Backup. Tested both and both work just fine. Trueimage does incremental "full system" backup and its the current leader.

ultimately , A Drobo or Synology box may make more sense - especally for homes with more than 2 or 3 machines.

My "data" is being backed up using the 321 method

The offsite process of choice thus far is crashplan

What is really neat about this process is that Crashplan can have multiple destinations.

So with 1 process, I am backing up my data to a local drive ( 2nd Tier) and simultaneously to an offsite (3rd tier) This is a usb drive 1600 miles away at my brothers house.

The 3rd tier backup is a desparation move - so the plan if I ever need it , is to have my brother copy the archive to a new USB drive, rather than mailing the only remaining copy of the data

You dont want to mail the only remaining copy of your data !!!

Crashplan's ability to disconnect and reconnect remote backup archives really helps out on this.

I still consider bare-metal restore a 'must have'. True, I don't back up my data using WHS Backup, but the pain and suffering involved with installing an OS from scratch is such that I will avoid it if at all possible. I've calculated that it would take me around 2 full days to install my main desktop from scratch when you include all the apps. That's a long, long time, especially when you consider it only takes around 20 minutes to do a full restore.

Trueimage is a fine product, but it doesn't have the Single Instance Storage that WHS has. Combined with the other services I get with WHS, such as file server, web server, media streaming, I still feel it's the best option for me.

I still consider bare-metal restore a 'must have'. True, I don't back up my data using WHS Backup, but the pain and suffering involved with installing an OS from scratch is such that I will avoid it if at all possible. I've calculated that it would take me around 2 full days to install my main desktop from scratch when you include all the apps. That's a long, long time, especially when you consider it only takes around 20 minutes to do a full restore.

Trueimage is a fine product, but it doesn't have the Single Instance Storage that WHS has. Combined with the other services I get with WHS, such as file server, web server, media streaming, I still feel it's the best option for me.

I agree completely. I would argue anything other than bare-metal restore is old school.