RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS Replacement Article - What Do You Think?

awraynor

Well, I've tested amahi out a good deal. It requires you to configure it as the DNS and DHCP servers for the network if you want full functionaility out of it. You may as well go SBS2011E or WS2012E in that case. And Amahi is just a package you install on top of Fedora... So you still have a linux box, for all the advantages and disadvantages that involves.

As for freeNAS, it's not exactly user friendly... ANd i've not used torido plug.

Personally, I'll stick with the WHS line. SBS2011E has been treating me well, and it still has 2-3 years or support.

After my experience with Amahi I would rather stick with 2011 or pay the $425 for 2012E than face that pain again.

My opinion on the article was not flattering. What many people seem to overlook is that WHS is more than just network storage The centralized, single instance storage of the client PC backup function in WHS has no equal that I've found - certainly not at the current price point.

• Like 1

My opinion on the article was not flattering. What many people seem to overlook is that WHS is more than just network storage The centralized, single instance storage of the client PC backup function in WHS has no equal that I've found - certainly not at the current price point.

Exactly.IMHO, the most important reason to have a WHS is the bare-metal restore. The other things are great, but not the most important reason.

Agreed. There is no backup solution that comes close to replicating WHS's. Both in terms of usability, and in size efficiency.

Not to mention, the website, and 100% free *SIGNED* certificate.

On of my biggest issues with Amahi... is that they recommend Symantec Ghost ... and to set up DNS, DHCP and PXE to net-boot the "restore" disk, just to *emulate* the backup feature of WHS. :(

• 3 weeks later...