RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HP EX495 MSS and Drive Temps.

Mike

Hey Home Server Show people. I've noticed that my HDD temps have increased and a yellow triangle next to the temp reading. The readings vary from 111 degrees to 113 degrees fahrenheit. Is something to be worried about? I have 3 1.5 TB seagate drives installed currently. What can be done to keep the drives cool and keep from frying? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

/Mike Biel

Mike, those temps are right in line with the temps of my 1.5 TB Seagate, the system drive. Also, I've noticed that this drive runs hotter than the 1 TB Seagate. The current temps are 111 and 95 Fahrenheit respectively. Quite a difference as you can see. But I think the discrepancy is possibly related to 3 vs 2 platters. Either way, I've been told that these temps are well within tolerance.

By contrast, the temps of my two WD 640 MB drives are 91 and 95 F. And this is in a brand new 4-fan Lian Li case, with the fans currently turned up all the way.

Out of curiosity, where, or in what tab, are you seeing a yellow triangle?

@dvn

I use the Home Server SMART add-in and this is where I get the SMART drive data. At the bottom of that screen it will indicate the selected drive's temperatures. If the temp is above 109 degrees F, them it puts a yellow triangle with an "!" in the middle next to the temp. It shows the same thing above this in the SMART details section if you scroll down to the temperature attribute. I was a little concerned because I haven't seen the temps get the high until a couple days ago; Must be the warmer weather we are getting. anyways thanks for the reply.

/Mike Biel

In my ex470, I'm at 114F on the main 500GB, 104, 105, and 100 on the other 1.5TB, 250GB, and 160GB drives going bottom to top. I wouldn't worry about it, honestly.

@Mike - I installed the SMART add-in, but I get a

Severe

exception error when it first loads or refreshes the display.

WMI worker process encountered an exception: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

This looks like one of those coding mistakes that throws an error but otherwise doesn't really affect the working of the application, at least in this case. I'm not worried about this, but wonder if you've seen it as well.

*I do like the info at the bottom pf the screen: Bad Sectors; Pending Bad Sectors; Reallocation Events; Temperature in C/F

• 1 month later...

At what temp should you begin worrying? I have two drives at the top of my case that are at 114 F.

Also, what does it mean if there is no data reported at all? I have one drive like this.

I just did a quick check. I looked up WD Caviar Black drive to see what it's Operation Temps were and found the range to be 32

The operating temps can vary allot. Depending on case circulation and the type of drive they can escalate however I personally would not be comfortable with anything higher than 115-120F as heat starts to degrade. Mine run at about 90F and on hot days (socal) will climb to 105F. DVN is correct however I would take some steps to make sure you stay at 115 or lower. Like me, DVN has excellent air flow which is a challege in some of he case designs.