RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

OS X Mountain Lion

Hawnted

I run Windows Home Server 2011 with one Windows 7 Desktop and two Windows 7 laptops that backup to the home server. I also use the Home Server for remote access of files, and to stream media to my two PS3s in the house. I just recently got a Macbook Air. Time Machine does not seem to be able to recognize the WHS 2011 box. Seems they removed SMB compatibility and now use AFP.

Does anyone have a Mac on their network? If so, how do you incorporate backups? We have gone to Mac at the office, our phones are iPhones, we each have an iPad, we are thinking about moving towards Apple at home as well. I was thinking about changing to a different Server OS, but I really like WHS (was sad to see it being dropped). Also, I do not know of another product out that there provides the functionality I need out of the box, or accomplished rather easily.

1. Remote Access w/ built in Dynamic DNS

2. DLNA Streaming

3. Centralized Backups (while backing up itself as well) with Bare Metal Restore Capability

My only thought would be to utilize a OS X Mountain Lion Server, setup FTP and DyDNS on the router, use PS3 Media Server for Mac, and implement Time Machine. However, then I gotta build a Hackintosh out of PC parts or spend an unnecessary amount of money...

Thoughts?

A Mac Mini as a server box with an external drive for mass storage, or Drobo depending hon how much storage you need seems to be a popular option for Mac households. I was very impressed by Synology as Dave demoed at the Meetup for basically everything except the bare metal restore part.

I run a Hackintosh for fun on an old Q9550 box. I back it up on an external drive, 1TB to Time Machine and 1TB to Super Duper. The Hackintosh sees my WHS 2011 box very well, on Lion to clarify. There are some things I like about Mac better than Windows, but by and large it isn't miraculous, just different.

On the flipside my Win8 box does many things well and obviously backs up to WHS 2011 without fault.

There are many ways to do this, just my cents.

Thanks, I may end up building a hackintosh out of some spare parts for the Time Machine server.

Anyone else have any solutions they use for a Mac on their mostly Windows network?

Edited by Hawnted

I run a mixed-mode household as well (including some linux boxes) and it's a shame that there isn't a good way to tie-in mac backups with WHS. I think your idea to build a Hackintosh and then run OSX server on it is actually a good one. I have an older (2007) Mac Mini that I just started running Lion Server on for that exact purpose and it works well. Of course there's other cool things you can do with OSX Server including some nifty management of iOS devices if you have some iphones/ipods/ipads in your house. Overall I like the feature-set of WHS better than OSX Server, but there's still some cool things you can do with OSX Server. (and having both in your house means you get the best of both worlds)

As awranor mentioned the Synology NAS devices can act as a Time Machine destination too if you're interested in going that route. Another decent option is to run a linux box and install netatalk which is an open-source AFP implementation. This can turn a linux machine into a Time Machine destination as well. I'm not sure if that's a better solution than installing hackintosh... I'd probably go with hackintosh because of the ability to play with OSX server.

Edited by eagle63

I have never had hands on time with OS X Server, but did peruse the book on it at wegotserved.com. That ebook didn't seem to highlight many media serving functions which surprised me given Apple is so media centric. @eagle63, do you use it in this way?

I have never had hands on time with OS X Server, but did peruse the book on it at wegotserved.com. That ebook didn't seem to highlight many media serving functions which surprised me given Apple is so media centric. @eagle63, do you use it in this way?

If I went that route, I would use either Plex Media Server, or PS3 Media Server. Either would have DLNA capabilities for streaming to the PS3. From what I have been reading, Plex is the favorite.

Edited by Hawnted

No I don't use OSX server for media streaming. To be honest I really don't use DLNA at all - the few times I've tried using DLNA streaming it's always been a lousy experience. Many devices don't seem to adhere to the spec, either that or the spec sucks - not sure which. That said, the real shame about OSX Server is that Apple didn't do anything with iTunes or iPhoto. They could have built a nice story around tying your home with multiple macs and ios devices into a single iTunes server or iPhoto server. (stick all your photos on the Server and have each mac be able to access it easily) As it stands today, if you want 2 macs (or 2 accounts on the same mac) to share an iPhoto library you're out of luck. (there are some workarounds that kinda/sorta work, but it's not fun) The irony is I use the iHomeServer add-in on my WHS 2011 machine to manage my household's music.

I tried Plex, but it didn't want to play my DVD folder rips. I too am blown away that Apple doesn't develop a true media server platform. Maybe that's why they fired everyone at Apple today? (didn't see that coming, at least for Forstall. I also use iHomeServer and my hack sees it just fine.