RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Moving "Hidden" System Reserved Partition

Aeolus

Simple question I hope.... just built/repurposed a 2012 Essentials box and ran the install w/ 4x1.5TB drives. The install put the hidden partition on a different drive than the drive with the (c:) partition. I decided to let it slide and just use the space for video which I don't intend on mirroring, but as I move more data over I'm really wishing I had more mirrored space and see little need for this un-mirror-able(if that's a word) space.

So, my question is can I (and how do I) move this hidden partition to the drive that has the System (c:) partition? After doing this I hope to add a fifth drive and create a second mirrored pair.

Thanks in advance for any insight into this issue!

Jason

The best way I know of is to install the OS with only 1 drive in the system; it has no choice then. I don't know how you could move it after installation.

yeah... I was sorta afraid of that. I've thought about disconnecting the three drives and re-installing WS2012E then connecting the drives again, but fear that the mirrored pair won't be recognized, or not behave properly.

First off, ikon, thanks for the help!

To answer your question:

Drive 0: 2 partitions- C: (os) and G: (unmirrored storage)

Drive 1: 2 partitions- hidden (System Reserved) and V: (unmirrored storage)

Drive 2: U: (Storage Spaces mirrored pool)

Drive 3: U: (Storage Spaces mirrored pool)

FWIW, I just read a FAQ on TechNet that said Storage Space pools can be moved between machines.

My current choices as I see them in order of most desirable to least:

1. Move hidden partition to Drive 0 so I can add Drive 1 to a Storage Spaces pool

2. Leave server as configured and add a HighPoint RocketRaid 3510 card I have sitting in a box with a few more hard drives, or if the drivers for the card don’t work, an external usb/esata enclosure.

3. Backup data on server, disconnect Drives 1-3, reinstall WS2012E, reconnect Drives 1-3, cross fingers and other superstitious rituals, power on server and rejoice… or if this happens to be my course of action and it fails then…

4. Start at the beginning, fresh install, move my data back on from backups.

I still have my Franken WHS v1 chugging away and holding all my untouched data. The data on the WS2012E machine has been cleaned up, reclaiming 300+gb worth of duplicate files. Any suggestions are welcome, like another way to mirror data across non-Storage Spaces drives. I’m not intimidated by WS2012E, but to be honest my experience with servers is limited to WHSv1 and the few tweaks I’ve performed on it setting up a Squeeze Server service before it was supported and a utorrent service… nothing really all that complex.

Thanks again in advance to the community!

If I was you, and I had all my data backed up thoroughly, I would take a leap of faith and try disconnecting all but the OS drive and reinstall WSE2012 to the single drive. I would be making a bet that the new installation would recognize and be able to use the Storage Spaces volumes without issue. I would do this so I would know whether or not it works, because it could be such a useful thing to know in the future.

If you decide to try it, please post back here so others can benefit from your experience.

Valid point... I'm thinking I should go ahead and install the raid card too for future expansion; that way I'll know if it will work before things go too far and it will be ready to go when I add more storage... what do you think?

Success!

I decided to pull ALL four drives in my first install of WS2012E and re-install on a single new drive, giving me the ultimate "fault protection" in the experiment... if the Storage Spaces pool was not recognized, I could just fall back to the original install.

So, drum roll please... it worked great... after some minimal setup of the server I shut down, attached the two drives containing the pool, booted. Startup may have taken a little longer, but my attention shared with other tasks so I don't know for sure, but the end result was full recognition of the pool. The pool was given a different drive letter than before... easy fix.

So I removed the partitions on the other pair of drive from the original install with Gparted, reconnected them to the new WS2012E install, added them to the pool... adjusted the max volume of the pool and now I have plenty of mirrored storage!

I'm liking Storage Spaces more and more... and really liking WS2012E!

Isn't it great when a leap of faith pays off ? :) I'm really glad it has all worked out for you, and thanks for reporting back. I'm sure it will help others in the future.