RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Add-In to rearrange or reorganize Music Folder

Removed

Hi,

I am consolidating music collections to a new Frankenbuild WHS and was wondering if anyone new of an add-in or software that would rearrange the files?
The issue is my daughter has some of the same songs or different tracks by same artist. I would like to drop a folder out on the WHS server for each collection under the music folder then have something go thru and organize them together so her AC/DC tracks get organized with mine.

I am new to WHS but server savy so any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

I use Beyond Compare from Scooter Software or the sync utility built into Directory Opus to compare and sync large file collections.

@miket.mcse

What are you using now to manage your music? iTunes has the ability to consolidate and organize music in it's own library. However, some people don't like iTunes.

Another program that seems to get a fair amount of mention is MediaMonkey. I have never tried it and there is the free version or a paid Gold version.

I am sure others will chime in with application they have used.

My wife likes mediamonkey, but I've never used it myself. To be completely honest, I'd probably do it manually as I'm a stickler for how things are organized %Artist%\%Album%\%n% - %SongTitle%.wma

I can use Windows Media Player to do it initially and it is what I decided to do for now. It is not perfect and I will probably have to a do a little clean up after if finishes. I was hoping for an add-in that might monitor the folders and organize them in the background as new stuff is added. Then if she downloads something or rips it in a different folder I could just copy it out and let the add-in rearrange it.

@cskenney I use Zune software primarily.

Thanks for the suggestions.

It might be worth your time to look at Foobar2000. As long as your tracks are tagged correctly, fb2k can use those tags to do very complex file management. If your tags aren't tagged correctly, you can use fb2k to get them tagged.

Media Monkey does a very good job at organizing your collection and manipulating your meta data. Give it a try.

"My wife likes mediamonkey, but I've never used it myself. To be completely honest, I'd probably do it manually as I'm a stickler for how things are organized %Artist%\%Album%\%n% - %SongTitle%.wma"

I agree with this statement.

iTunes is horrible so don't use it unless you must.

I actually use the Zune software for ripping my music, but not for existing files. My setup is I have the "Music" share and within that is "ripped cds" and "purchased music". We have the Zune Pass, so we get the 10 free songs/month, which I move off of the local PC's to the server. (Each of the 3 computers on the Zune Pass store the ZP content locally. I move those 10 songs/month manually so they don't get accidentally deleted).