RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Anyone get WMC8 working with HDHomerun?

Sorta Oldguy

Here's a copy of what I left on the Silicon Dust forum just now. Also left a query about codecs on social.microsoft.com Am about to give up on WMC8. It's like the Holy Grail and none of us is Percival or Galahad.

Oct. 25 Microsoft announced the availability of Windows Media Center for Windows 8. If you have Win8 Pro, you can send a request for a key and they send one back to use with the Add Features in Win8. That all worked fine, apparently. It installed with no problem. In setup, it recognized the HDHomerun and found the same channels as my Win7 machine does on Comcast.

BTW, here is the link.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/feature-packs

That's when the fun started.

It played AVI and WMV files with no problems. Even played mp4 files of TV shows that were converted from .wtv files. I tried playing some of the .wtv files I've been recording for a year in Windows 7. Error - codec missing. They work fine in WMC on Win7.

Then, I tried using the Guide. Of course, none of the channels were correct right off the bat. So, I picked a couple and edited them to the same settings as are on the functioning WMC installation on a Win7 machine. The guide appeared to work and even displayed thumbnails of the current shows. However, when I tried to play live TV, I got the message:

"Video Error

Files needed to display video are not installed or are no working correctly.

Restart media center or restart the computer."

Both QuickTV and VLC work fine for previewing channels.

I assume this is a lack of codecs or missetting of codecs. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

You are certainly on the leading/bleeding edge of the curve. I doubt many people have had a chance to even download/install WMC8, let alone test it with an HDHomerun. As I understand it, MS only made the SDK available yesterday so most developers haven't been able to test their software or hardware yet.

You are certainly on the leading/bleeding edge of the curve. I doubt many people have had a chance to even download/install WMC8, let alone test it with an HDHomerun. As I understand it, MS only made the SDK available yesterday so most developers haven't been able to test their software or hardware yet.

It helps when you don't do what your supposed to be doing and instead watch the streams of the launches yesterday <_<

I'm thinking this might be a justification for my big virtualization project. I'm waiting for another 2TB Green Caviar from Newegg today to help back up my data before getting out the scalpels.

I also broke down and got a 256 Samsung SSD which is supposed to be arriving today to put VHD's on.

Edited by Sorta Oldguy

Just a thought: you might consider getting WD Reds in the future, instead of Greens. The price is very close, and the Reds are designed for longevity.

Yeah. I'm using a few Greens for offsite backup too. I'm running RE4's for my main RAID5 array. I won't buy any more Greens - the Reds are just too close in price.

I installed my hdhomerun dual tuner and it works fine, from what I can tell media center is identical to win7. Installed the latest My Movies, installed LAV Splitter so I can watch my .mkv's..

I installed my hdhomerun dual tuner and it works fine, from what I can tell media center is identical to win7. Installed the latest My Movies, installed LAV Splitter so I can watch my .mkv's..

It does look identical but for the lack of codecs.

Are you able to watch live TV using the HDHomerun?

Are you able to watch wtv files?

Also, did you do a fresh install of Win8 or an upgrade from Win7?

I was able to watch live TV, but I didn't try watching a .wtv file. I'll try it tonight and report back.

This was a fresh install of the release preview.

Edited by tojoski