RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
capall

how do you back up your HP Microserver?

jmwills

Well, as long as we're being fair.

eagle63

I've had a Thermaltake USB2 toaster on my relative's WHS for around 5 months with zero issues. It's on 24/7.

Thanks, good to know.

Joe_Miner

by the way, is there any issue using 3Tb drives in the microserver with the standard bios?..other than the 2TB whs2011 limit.

In Disk Manager in WHS-2011 you can Mirror drives. A lot of your questions are answered here and here.

Check Tim’s write-up and Video

You can check 3TB drive performance in the Microserver

You can also use Drive-Pool or Drive-Bender to enable file duplication in WHS-2011 similar to WHS-V1’s Drive Extender but only better IMHO.

capall

thanks, will check it out

capall

if in the future I wanted to use all 3 of my available drives in my microserver for data, and if that was say 3 x 2 TB drives, would one of these boxes be suitable as a single backup drive (instead of using 3 separate 2 TB usb drives). Or at this price point and quality, would you be better just building or buying a second server with whs2011 or a PC win8 and a RAID card to act as a backup unit, even a second microserver for the matter?

http://www.newegg.co...=0VN-0003-00023

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817707234

capall

Edited by capall

ikon

I think the most important item is to ensure you have offsite backup.

capall

I agree, and still plan to do that, but I think I want a local backup also, and plan on following your advice if I am using 2 data drives (one mirrored to a third internal drive and both data drives backed up to a ext. drive, local and offsite), but if I need the space in the future and decided to use the mirror drive for Data, I would then want to back up all 3 data drives (3 x 2 TB drives) but I have no knowledge of using these types of bays, and was thinking they would be better than using multiple ext drives. (microserver can't do port multiplication, hence needing a "Raid" box, vs a simple multi- bay enclosure)

ikon

I'm using 2 Lian-Li EX-503 boxes for local and offsite backup. If you look at the picture you can see them at the top. I have them set to Span the drives into a single volume so I don't need to worry about multi-port.

gallery_502_35_361703.jpg

capall

looks like I'm on the right track then, (in looking at these enclosures)...I assume this has RAID_5 or RAID_10 ?

looks like none available on newegg,