RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

how do you back up your HP Microserver?

capall

Hi all,

I'm setting up my microserver and with the help of some of you have come up with a backup plan, but before I commit, I was wondering what your drive configs are and how you are backing up your microservers.

This is what I'm thinking of;

drive 0 (in slot 0); OS backed up to usb drive (WD green) with server backup,

drive 1; music, documents, photos, client backups (2TB WD green) mirrored to drive 2, copied with allway sync to 2 usb drives (one offsite), copied to another local usb drive (always connected to the server) and cloud backup via crashplan or cloudberry

drive2; mirror of drive 1 (2TB WD green)

drive 4; videos (2TB WD green), copied (allway sync) to local usb drive (possible same one as that used for drive 1)

Not the cleanest of setups, hence the post......

Would be nice if the microserver could use an external 4 bay enclosure, but I believe it doesn't recognize them as individual drives, correct?

capall

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmwills

• ikon

• capall

• a15457

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe you are correct about the eSATA port: i.e. is is NOT multi-port aware, so it doesn't see individual drives. Other than that, while perhaps a bit complex, what I really like is that you have many copies of your data.

Looks pretty solid. Have you looked at or considered any of the drive-extender-like add-on's? I'm using DrivePool and am very happy with it. So my setup would be:

- drive 0 for OS, backed up to USB drive using server backup (same as you)

- drives 1, 2, 3, 4 all part of the redundant drive pool. Data from these drives is also backed up offsite using crashplan.

thanks guys,

have heard a lot about drivepool and drivebender on the podcast, I'm just a bit reluctant to let it handle my critical data in case something goes belly up like what happend to drive extender several years ago and also since apparently Microsoft themselves couldn't figure it out.

Another option I suppose is a second server or NAS, but I'm not there yet.

You know, with all the backups you have, you're probably pretty safe using either of those DE replacements. That's one of the really nice things about having a good backup strategy - you can afford to take a bit of a flyer on something like this.

I should also add that I used to be firmly in the camp that said "no way" to any kind of 3rd party drive extender replacement. But I finally came around. :) It's been absolutely rock solid for me, and my impression is that others are having good success with it too.

I'm have been of planning a similar setup.

N40L 16GB RAM + 250gb OEM Seagate + 2*2 2TB Seagate + 1*2TB WD20EARX2

I have Exsi 5.1 on internal USB. VM WHS2011 OS + (1.5TB Data) on 2TB ST2000

? Does it make sense to mirror the 2*2 Seagate inside the WHS VM w/ WD Green for workstation backups and then use Crashplan for offsite + Some USB Exts (WD Mybook(s)) for on-site server backups.

What performance hit for the mirroring should I plan for ?

thanks guys,

have heard a lot about drivepool and drivebender on the podcast, I'm just a bit reluctant to let it handle my critical data in case something goes belly up like what happend to drive extender several years ago and also since apparently Microsoft themselves couldn't figure it out.

Another option I suppose is a second server or NAS, but I'm not there yet.

I've been using DrivePool for awhile now and have been very happy with it's performance and reliability. http://homeservershow.com/installing-windows-home-server-2011-on-a-ssd-in-a-hp-microserver-n40l.html

I try to look at it from the perspective that hard drive will fail -- with drivepool and folder duplication turned on the whole system could crash and I can lift the drives and put them in any system and read the files off of it since everything is NTFS. While I do maintain backups it's nice to have that additional robustness in the design.

Just my opinion for what it's worth.