JerryW

index.php?app=downloads&module=display&section=screenshot&id=23

File Name: Home Server Status WS2012E

File Submitter: JerryW

File Submitted: 23 Oct 2012

File Updated: 12 Nov 2012

File Category: Home Server Status

Free or Fee?: $$$ with free trial

Home Server Status revised to work with Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 Essentials.

Requirements:

1. Windows Server 2012 Essentials

2. Windows 7 or Windows 8 32/64 bit

3. .NET v4.x framework

4. Windows Server 2012 Essentials Connector MUST BE INSTALLED!

Click here to download this file

ikon

Thanks Jerry. On top of things, as always :)

JerryW

Thanks Jerry. On top of things, as always :)

Your welcome. I failed to mention that there is no additional charge for this. The same serial number from HSS for WHS2011 can and should be used for this as well.

ikon

Oh, that 'minor' point :D

tekguru

Question I've been running v3.06 with my WHS2011 box, but the PC is running Windows 8, and the app keeps on crashing on the PC. SO which version should I be using?

JerryW

Question I've been running v3.06 with my WHS2011 box, but the PC is running Windows 8, and the app keeps on crashing on the PC. SO which version should I be using?

Neither.

1. v3.07 and below, for use with WHS2011, officially, is for Windows 7, not Windows 8. However, I have been contacted by many, and have ran HSS v3.07 with my WHS2011 since the first Windows 8 betas without any problems.

2. This new release has been updated to work with Windows 8 and Windows Server Essentials 2012. (Though you are welcome to test this new version on your WHS2011, might work! I no longer have a WHS2011 box. The development structure is pretty darn close to WHS2011.)

When you say the app crashes, what do you mean? Most problems are centered around .NET v4.x framework problems. Also, you can try deleting your c:\programdata\home server status\settings.xml file. If you do this, you will have to re-enter your registration and any settings you save. @tekguru, I would be happy to try and help you with the crash problem.

You may ask, will there be an official HSS, Windows 8 release. The answer is, no. I have am no longer furthering development for HSS on the WHS2011 platform. That does not mean I won't fix things if they come up and I will continue to support those who have purchased HSS for the required platforms. I had posed the question about creating a form of HSS that runs as a service and reports to a Windows 8 Live Tile but I got no feedback that made me feel that this project was worth my time. :rolleyes: Who knows, I may still do so.

Edited by JerryW

tekguru

Cheers for the clarification. I was actually running 3.07 and the issues I were having were .net 4 error messages. I've since reinstalled the application and so far (touch wood) no more crashes.

Is the 3.08 variant sufficiently improved to run on Windows 8, if so I may well give it a try.

I'd have loved a Live Tile version, so if you ever reconsider I'm more than happy to give it a test.

I'll report back if I have any further issues.

JerryW

Cheers for the clarification. I was actually running 3.07 and the issues I were having were .net 4 error messages. I've since reinstalled the application and so far (touch wood) no more crashes.

Is the 3.08 variant sufficiently improved to run on Windows 8, if so I may well give it a try.

I'd have loved a Live Tile version, so if you ever reconsider I'm more than happy to give it a test.

I'll report back if I have any further issues.

3.08, though I dubbed for use with WS2012E, may very well work for you. What I did was make some of my programming routines more generic and dynamic to work with the server. Since the structure was almost identical to that of WHS2011, it may work and would work better on Windows 8. One thing I had to remove from this version, to help it operate with Windows 8, was a routine for detecting whether or not the user was trying to shutdown their computer while a backup is running. The existing routine would not function properly under Windows 8. Also, I added the ability to choose your text color when you hover over the taskbar button. This was need because Windows 8 allows so many color changes and defining the color white, to be used for everyone, simply wasn't going to work. If you want, give it a shot on your WHS2011 box and let me know. The worst that would happen is it would not connect to the server and just re-install 3.07.

I look forward to hearing your results.

Edited by JerryW

tekguru

Hi Jerry I just gave 3.08 a go and even though it seemed to install okay under Windows 8 it did not show up as a process or in the system tray. Removed and reinstalled it three times, alas no difference.

JerryW

Hi Jerry I just gave 3.08 a go and even though it seemed to install okay under Windows 8 it did not show up as a process or in the system tray. Removed and reinstalled it three times, alas no difference.

Well, then I guess it does make a difference. In other words, you have to use it with WS2012E. I wasn't sure about the .DLLs included. The programming was similar but like I said, I no longer have a WSH2011 box.

Thank you for trying though. Now I know.