RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Need Some Help...

saxamo

Hello there,

Just upgraded my windows home server v1 to whs2011 on my h342 acer. Running very nicely.

mediasmart.jpg

After doing this I noticed thay my drive lights were not working. This is a raid 5 on 3, 2TB drives and an ssd for the OS. I downloaded the lights management and installed that, along with the RTS ( latests ) and then my driver became a ahci/d9 etc.. but the lights did not come on. I pretty much tried it all except what is right. I have everything I need installed. Not working.. okay, so I remove the driver to reinstall and the whole server takes a dump.. no worries, rebuilt it completely and It is now operational and the entire set of shares are syncing with drop box.

I need to know if anyone got the lights to work on the h342 after the upgrade to whs 2011 and I would also like to know a list of add-ins you suggest me installing. I went looking at things like grid junction ( no longer made any more ) and other, but I cannot find anything for whs 2011 where people are suggesting it.

Please anyone, chime in and let me know where a list is of functioning and up to date add-ins are for the whs 2011 console.

I appreciate your help and your time.

Kind regards,

Saxamo

http://www.saxamo.com

Edited by saxamo

I don't know if it matters, but I did it on an H340. The lights do work. Danged if I can remember ATM all the steps. What I can say is I found either the steps, or a link to them, in these forums. You could try searching for H340.

As far as add-ins for WHS2011, I don't use any. The only one I can think of that I might use is the Windows Phone Connector.

EDIT: I searched for "H340 WHS2011" and it gave me the forum thread I started about this: http://homeserversho..._+h340 +whs2011

That is actually the post that got me all the files I needed to do the install, but could not get it to work.. lol.. thanks for responding though. I actually have been searching the web for hours and I did come across the phone connector but I think that was only for windows phones. I have to recheck that to be sure. I would have really liked something like grid junction again. Guess I have to either just set up the power options to power off the server at 5% or maybe load http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=SFPCPE302 - power chute. I would like to add something to the add-in area of the dashboard just to see how good it looks. Much more room then in v1.

Thanks again.. I mean really, if there is a problem with a drive in the array won't the server throw up a warning and indicate an error on the server health. I really liked v1 console just since it showed me the temp of the cpu and case interior. Surprised they are not in the new version..

Thanks!

okay so I went back and tried again.. made sure all updates were done on the server.. then I made sure that

Prerequisite:

• Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver, Version 10.8.0.1003 (02JAN2012) - Download Link
  • Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x64) - Download Link

You MUST Install Both Of The Above Prerequisites To Get A Successful And Working Installation.

then I installed version

VERSION 1.0.6 RELEASED

• Please uninstall any previous version before installation.
  • You also need to install the Intel RST driver that replaces the standard SATA driver. Check the readme.txt for more information. If you do not install the Intel RST driver the disk lights will not work.
  • Read the readme.txt file to understand the light states and how to modify them.

Dowload link: HpMssServiceSetup_v1.0.6

after a reboot. My machine now looks like this:

http://youtu.be/oct-NfrvCmE

Any Suggestions?

The Hard Drive Light is constantly on and those 3 drive bays blink constantly.. However, the "i" did stop blinking :)

LOG:

<LogMessage>

<Time>2012-10-24 01:46:18.8200</Time>

<Level>Info</Level>

<Message>Hardware detected: Acer Aspire easyStore H342 . Using AcerH341 driver family.</Message>

</LogMessage>

<LogMessage>

<Time>2012-10-24 01:46:30.3400</Time>

<Level>Info</Level>

<Message>Service starting.</Message>

</LogMessage>

<LogMessage>

<Time>2012-10-24 01:46:30.5400</Time>

<Level>Info</Level>

<Message>Health monitoring starting.</Message>

</LogMessage>

<LogMessage>

<Time>2012-10-24 01:46:30.5401</Time>

<Level>Info</Level>

<Message>LED brightness set to 5.</Message>

</LogMessage>

<LogMessage>

<Time>2012-10-24 01:46:30.5700</Time>

<Level>Info</Level>

<Message>Storage monitoring starting.</Message>

</LogMessage>

<LogMessage>

<Time>2012-10-24 01:46:48.5100</Time>

<Level>Info</Level>

<Message>Disk added in slot 1: status = Healthy, LED = BlinkingAqua, disk = WDC WD3200BEVT-00A0RT0</Message>

</LogMessage>

<LogMessage>

<Time>2012-10-24 01:46:48.9500</Time>

<Level>Info</Level>

<Message>Disk added in slot 2: status = Data, LED = Aqua, disk = Hitachi HDS722020ALA330</Message>

</LogMessage>

<LogMessage>

<Time>2012-10-24 01:46:48.9900</Time>

<Level>Info</Level>

<Message>Disk added in slot 3: status = Healthy, LED = BlinkingAqua, disk = WDC WD20EADS-22R6B0</Message>

</LogMessage>

<LogMessage>

<Time>2012-10-24 01:46:49.0200</Time>

<Level>Info</Level>

<Message>Disk added in slot 4: status = Healthy, LED = BlinkingAqua, disk = WDC WD20EADS-00W4B0</Message>

</LogMessage>

UPDATE: Per the directions in theC:\Program Files\HP MediaSmart Server\HpMssService.exe.config - To workaround issues with disk LED blinking with DrivePool, DriveBender, RAID arrays and disks without shares,

change the "DiskStatus.Healthy" value to "Aqua".

After a reboot and a log in remotely.. all is working as it should..

Nice work!!!

Edited by saxamo

Yes, I had to do the change to 'Aqua' as well. That's why I said I couldn't recall all the steps; there are quite a few, and some of them are a bit obscure. I think the funkiest part is going through the install, up to the first reboot, on a completely different computer (one with video, KB, mouse) and then moving the drive to the H34x. Oh, and the weird URL you have to browse to in order to continue the installation.

Glad you got it all working.

Last Question and then I am just waiting on another one in another forum about shadow copies. Is the hard drive light suppose to remain on constantly? the server is not doing anything but the light is just ON.. Network Light is blinking as it should be, "i" is just sitting there blue. That hard drive light though is never ending. Is that a product of the code?

Thanks!

Hmmm, I don't recall, and I don't have ready access to the unit any more. Next time I see it I will check. Basically, though, it's working, so you're good to go :)

• 2 weeks later...

This was because of the raid 5 resynching. Everything is fine.. The only things there is to deal with is the power down options in whs2011. Seems there is a bug that it wants to stay at 98% and even if you change the policy to be 5% for critical it still fails when UPS is tested. I downloaded powerchute windows home server version and it installed perfectly and works perfectly. Tested it out. Now the server is complete. Thanks for all the help!